Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 33 or 35 Inch Wheels on me GU

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CQPatrol View Post
    I am in the market for some new tyres to. I was told today by several tyre shops in the area ( Central QLD) that i can only legally fit 265's as 285's (33's) are to big.
    285/75R16's are illegal to fit to a patrol yes, But they are not really that noticeable in the size difference. So if you fdo want to fit them have a look at insurance and the like, or if you don't care just enjoy. You can only legally atm go 15mm bigger or samller in rolling diameter than what the vehicle came with standard. Also correct me if I am wrong, this rule is set to change soon, with the laws being relaxed slightly.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadbury View Post
    Hi guys,
    Can someone please tell me will 285/75/16 tyres fit onto a stock 1999 GU or do I need a lift to fit these on?
    Cheers
    Cadbury
    285/75R16's (33"s) will fit on a stock GU with no lift. You need to think about what the tyres will do at full articulation also. 33"s on standard GU rims should be fine and no scrub at full flex. They would be even better suted to some negative offset rims.

People who think you need to suspension lift a vehicle to fit large tyres are retarded (severly hindered), as tyres that fit whilst driving in a straight line and not at full flex or turning do not fit as they still scrub. Lifting a vehicle is to gain articulation (flex).
    Last edited by Warnie; 13th April 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and I would go 33"s for the driving you say you do.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warnie View Post
    285/75R16's (33"s) will fit on a stock GU with no lift. You need to think about what the tyres will do at full articulation also. 33"s on standard GU rims should be fine and no scrub at full flex. They would be even better suted to some negative offset rims.

People who think you need to suspension lift a vehicle to fit large tyres are retarded (severly hindered), as tyres that fit whilst driving in a straight line and not at full flex or turning do not fit as they still scrub. Lifting a vehicle is to gain articulation (flex).
    Ok , i am currently running 265/70/16 on a GU alloy rims , i am wanting to put on 285/75/16 on stock suspension , no lift yet , you say they wont rub which is good ...i am looking at the MTZ or the BFG KM2...both very good tyres i think , not much to split them ...i am leaning to the MT MTZ, i think they may be a little quieter on the road and i like the look of them ...also what is this offset people talk about , is it something i need to do or will the 285s go straight on the rims ????

pete

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 285"s will fit straight onto the rims and then you are away and wheeling. I would go the BFG KM2 as the BFG is actually a true size tyre and a newer design tyre. The MT 33" is actually smaller than a 33" (approx 31.5") in rolling diameter and the BFG side wall is stronger. Both tyres are out nout mud tyres and will make noise after 60%. Just get the tyre you want and put up with the noise. I find a good sound system will take care of this (not that loud, but good sound).

I went with the Kumho KL71, I pick them up on Wednesday. They are directional, and they are smaller than a 33" (32.5"), but at $249 a tyre I couldn’t beat them. (approx $500 more for the KM2 or MTZ). I really wanted the KM2 but couldn't justify the money as I am a student.

Cheers Adam
    Last edited by Warnie; 18th April 2011 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for feedback warnie , just waiting on some quotes re both those tyres , probably looking around $350 ea.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warnie View Post
    The 285"s will fit straight onto the rims and then you are away and wheeling. I would go the BFG KM2 as the BFG is actually a true size tyre and a newer design tyre. The MT 33" is actually smaller than a 33" (approx 31.5") in rolling diameter and the BFG side wall is stronger. Both tyres are out nout mud tyres and will make noise after 60%. Just get the tyre you want and put up with the noise. I find a good sound system will take care of this (not that loud, but good sound).

I went with the Kumho KL71, I pick them up on Wednesday. They are directional, and they are smaller than a 33" (32.5"), but at $249 a tyre I couldn’t beat them. (approx $500 more for the KM2 or MTZ). I really wanted the KM2 but couldn't justify the money as I am a student.

Cheers Adam
    I run the km2 and is a bloody brilliant tyre..
    You say you have purchased the khumo kl71, you won't be disappointed mate!! I have a mate running them and I am extremely impressed, not quite as strong as the bfg, but awesome in the sloppy stuff and great on the blacktop (even in the wet).
    He also runs them on a gq wagon

Fletcha
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Fletcha I pick them up tomorrow, I have only heard good reports for them, so on they go. I heard they were nice on the road also. I am replacing a set of 33" BFG AT's that are a bit long in the tooth and have gone a bit stiff. Im looking for a good alround tyre. So I will see how they go.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    had a look at the khumos on google images , looks a slick MT...should go well....

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the 33s

edit, I mean 35s lol, you will be able to go anywhere!
    Last edited by YNOT; 27th April 2011 at 06:19 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast