Thread: Tips on rebuilding a TD 42 please

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips on rebuilding a TD 42 please

Hi all, I have a 94 GQ TD42 with a aftermarket turbo and for some time now it has had an abnormal tick on one cylinder ( worse than any other TD 42 i have heard ) so i decided to have a good look at the rocker gear, suspecting a flogged out rocker or worn shaft. After striping it all down and measuring/ inspecting nothing was found. so i had the valve contact face of all the rockers machined so i could be sure of my clearance. ( not that they were too bad ) whilst inspecting the push rods i noticed some strange marks on one push rod on the lifter end. unfortunately the head needs to be removed to remove the lifters, so i removed the head expecting to find a damaged/worn lifter. nice easy cheep fix. well i found nothing, all the lifters looked brand new, the bore for the lifter was nice and smooth and the lifter fit nice and snug. I then inspected the cam via the lifter bores and it looked to be in perfect condition. So off with the sump and out with the pistons. the pistons looked to be in average/ poor condition. checked the ring gap and they were really worn as well. yes it did use a fair bit of oil.

Sorry for the long story, but this is where im at now. I will have to order a new set of pistons, rings, big end bearings, head gasket, valve stem seals. As i will do most of the work myself i am hoping some people can share a few tips, tricks, pitfalls etc on the rebuilding process. As well as recommended gear/brands to use and not to use.

thanks for the help, cheers Chris.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When I rebuilt any motor I used a product called WYNNs bearing supplement, just a blob on any new bearing surface.
    the nano second you turn that key these surfaces are coated until oil pressure builds up. you can kill any engine in that nano second. IMO only
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice threedogs, i have a tube of engine assembly lube.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cfrohloff For This Useful Post:

threedogs (25th September 2012)