Thread: Spot lights

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To confuse it further...

Depending on the white balance setting in your camera, the lights could appear different on film to real life.

Tipsy-tap

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yeah some wont pick up all the lumens or some thing, Filmed with el cheapo video, bush track night time 6 x hid lights on roof, replayed to my kids when I got home.
    What the,,, bugger all light but in real time daylight in the night
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No,

To our eyes white light is... White.

To a camera, there are differences. Incandescent light bulbs appear yellow. Flouro lights appear green etc, without correction. The camera can correct for it automatically. That is why you might take a pic of the lights that look almost purple to the eye, but they turn out white when you take a photo.

Sometimes when you get several different lights in the one photo shot, it (the camera) adjusts for one particular type of light, and you see the effect on the other lights.

The other problem with taking a photo of what you're spotties can see is: with camera in auto, it tries to get a decent exposure.

For the really bright lights, the shutter speed is faster. Not as much light gets to the sensor/film.

For less bright lights, the shutter on the camera stays open longer, resulting in a photo that looks pretty similar to the brighter lights. Think of star trail photos - looks like an awesome bright sky, but really the shutter has been open a while to bring out even those stars invisible to the naked eye.

The solution? To use a camera that allows full (manual) control over iso, shutter speed and aperture.

But thank you for the pics posted. They do give a rough idea on what to expect for that setup.

Tipsy-tap

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats full on, i'll just keep taking pics on my iphone with the HDR turned off. Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly off topic, but I have similar lights on my motorbike.

The top centre ligths are the normal and high beams.

The next lights down are LED running and high beams (ie. they have two brightness settings).

The lowest lights are 4" HID lights used with high beam only - but they show well more than 1km down the road!

The benefit of the LED lights is that they provide greater visibility (ie. people seeing me) during the day, and go much brighter instantly when I flick on the high beam. This makes an excellent combination with HID lights, which have a few seconds warm up time for full brightness.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234