OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Excellent 4x4 training weekend !

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent 4x4 training weekend !

Hi everyone,

i just felt that I should share the fantastic training course the wife and i have been on this weekend. We decided to get some proper tuition after help from this forum in choosing our first 4x4 in Australia after moving here last year.In May we bought a new Patrol ST and after looking at many informative videos asking advice on forums and reading various magazines we could not wait to get started.I researched different training organisations and found " AUSTRALIAN 4WD and ADVANCED DRIVER TRAINING " .We decided on 2 courses running on 2 consecutive days (SAT/SUN).

The first day was on private land in Kurwongbah and is a "NATIONALLY RECOGNISED TRAINING" course which i can use on some of the sites i work on and there for claim the cost back on my tax. There were only 8 vehicles allowed which gave a good sized group and they encouraged partners to have ago.The course covered all the technical aspects of all the 4x4 systems with a stripped away working model to make it easy for any one to understand how it all works including Hi/Low Range,Transfer Box,Diffs,Hubs etc. We also learnt about safe recovery methods preforming Maxtrax and Snatch Recoveries, Recovery Equipment and Techniques, Safety, Pre Starts, Vehicle Preparation, and Driving Techniques. We started off with some easy tracks and they got more challenging through out the day culminating in a 45 degree decent on loose ground with a tight right hand turn at the bottom with a left side slope and an immediate 45 degree accent. Only three of us tried it and they asked if i would go first having the most capable vehicle which again confirmed i made the right decision with the Patrol. We managed it No Problem.We had a 19 question assessment which was easy and every one gained there certification.The day was a full day from 07:45 until 16:30.

Day two was a sand driving course which is not accredited, this was on Bribie Island which started at 07:15 until 13:00 and only has 6 vehicles. It started off with going through the use of high and low ratio gears and entering and exiting the beech then we went onto the beech were we drove on hard sand and soft sand, some of which had a course of cones laid out. After that we went into detail on Self Recovery, Practicals on using Matrax and Safe methods of Snatch Recovery, rocking the vehicle and tyre pressures, After then we let some air out and found what a difference it made. There were plenty of opportunities for the wife to drive as well and after that we came back via the inland track which was challenging, especially in a convoy as most of the other vehicles were not as capable as the Patrol and got stuck a couple of times.

Both days cost a total of $505 and we thought it was a fantastic investment in protecting something that has cost us a lot of money. We thoroughly enjoyed the two days and the Instructors were excellent and very helpful and friendly. We are in no way connected or affiliated with this organisation but just wish to share there fantastic training.
    Hope this can help some one.

Web Site : WWW.australian4wd.com.au
    Phone : 07 3264 1877
    Courses : 4WD BUSH COURSE & 4WD SAND COURSE.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BigAL.H For This Useful Post:

AB (24th September 2012), choppie (25th September 2012), GUtsy ute (29th September 2012), knightpatrol66 (27th September 2012), macca (25th September 2012), MudRunnerTD (7th October 2020), ozzyboy (24th September 2012), snewin (25th September 2012), tusman (26th September 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top Stuff!! Will be looking into they further
    NISSANS Rulz .... "Amelia" the 2006 4.2ltr Patrol Ute & "Seamus" the 2008 3ltr Patrol Wagon

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2TROLLFAM For This Useful Post:

BigAL.H (22nd October 2012)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have thought of doing one of those courses to brush up on a few things, good one.
    Drive is 04 DX wagon, 165Ks, Dual Batts, 12000kg Warn in steel bar, Snorkel, Xray 220 Hid Spots, Cruise, digital EGT, Draws in back with power box, 40Ltr Waeco for the essentuals

7. The Following User Says Thank You to choppie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx for that mate.
    2012 GU Patrol Simpson Edition. Auto. UHF, Bull Bar, 2" lift with Koni shocks, dobinson coils. 3" stainless Steel Exhaust.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ronin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Best thing any one with a 4x4 can do, highly recommend to newbies and those that THINK they know it all.
    trust me they normally don't.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

11. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Best thing any one with a 4x4 can do, highly recommend to newbies and those that THINK they know it all.
    Have you been spying on my driving
    Cheers
    Macca

13. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its good to see you have decided to do it the right way. We spend a lot of time out bush (especially here in the high country) and often come across vehicles in trouble with no idea how to get out and usually no recovery equipment. The club I am a member of gives all its members this sort of training for FREE!! Join a 4WD Club. Next to buying a Patrol - its the best investment you will ever make.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    I can speak first hand on this one!

Regards,

RLI
    The halls been rented the bands been paid, time to see you dance!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PMC For This Useful Post:

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have special course for this ... you can visit https://link-resources.com.au/course...4wd-skill-set/