OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reverse camera position. GU Patrol...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks Hooking up the trailer is easy , but vision to stop you running over things and god forbid ppl is more what I want.
    I re read the thread a few times and most just want to see towball, I;ve sent some emails
    to try and get and answer, thanks again , Might make a alloy housing and using double sided tape
    stick camera inside housing to the centre position of rear doors up the top, sort of like a cup pull on an old drawer
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

PMC (24th August 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just seeing the towball & the front of your trailer won't help to avoid backing the trailer over something you'd rather not.
    Up high, or another camera on the back of the trailer!

Whether you mount it as you suggest , or inside the window depends on which you want to wipe. Both will get dirty or covered in rain. They are useful, but not perfect. I use mine as rear vision for driving, but only as an addition to the side mirrors, because in crap weather the camera view can be pretty degraded. If only used for reversing I guess a handy rag for wiping the camera or window would be the go, before hitting reverse gear.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 23rd August 2013 at 03:09 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

PMC (24th August 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My rear wind deflector is U/S ATM so I might mount it there over the weekend and see how it goes,
    easier to run the wires too, If it proves ok I'll go buy a new one and fix it more permanently, I'll be using rivnuts
    to fix camera to the Perspex, then some holes and cable ties to hold the wires neat, Should get great vision from that height

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bumped,,,, as I know a couple are waiting on an out come, Anyway rigged it up and powered the screen and camera via a cig socket.
    Plugged it in and found the best spot was in the middle of the rear wind deflector, it showed me the complete back of the Patrol
    Plus about 8ft out, During the week or tomorrow I'll put some rivnuts in the deflector to secure the camera, some convoluted tubing and a few cable ties
    and the outside is done, I can pick up power from the small lift out panel in cargo area.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

PMC (24th August 2013)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mounting it up high wont allow you to see enough behind a trailer unless its a simple box trailer that's empty, if you want to see behind your camper or caravan I'd put a camera on it. Mount the one on the car where you need it for every day driving and like cuppa I've got mine running off accessories best way IMO, when I'm listening to the radio I can't see it but a cd/ or ipad I can see the camera all the time while driving then when you hit reverse it comes on overriding everything.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

PMC (24th August 2013), threedogs (24th August 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    never thought of putting one on the rear of my camper, maybe above the numberplate
    On Ebay you can buy the replacement rear number plate light bracket that has camera on it,
    but closest I can find is Pathfinder quaisi or similar need to source one for the GR not the GU
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 24th August 2013 at 12:16 PM.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you put one on the camper you could just get a wireless unit so there's no cable to get damaged

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    stuck mine up under the handle above the licence plate on the small door then its got a bit of a roof on it also
    G'day Mego,

I have got a photo to show us please!

Regards,

RLI
    The halls been rented the bands been paid, time to see you dance!

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygtu View Post
    The factory position on mine is to the passenger side of the number plate light on the small barn door.

It isn't too bad with the factory camera, and gives you great vision, but you can see it is off centre. If I was installing it myself I would try to mount it to the drivers side of the handle on the same door, as it is closer to the centre of the vehicle.

Mic
    G'day Mick,

Can you take a photo of your set-up to show us please!

Regards,

RLI

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bad055 View Post
    I placed mine just above the roof gutter with a plumbing elbow over it to protect it. its in the center so it gives a good view and looks good with the cover over it. it ment drilling a hole in the roof for the wires to go but im happy with that. its a neat patrol but if ya cant drill and cut things on it, ya not gunna go bashing through the bush in it are ya? and whats the point in having a 4x4 if ya too scared to get a few scratches on it? lol. but it give a great view and its outa the way up there.
    G'day bad055,

Can you take a photo of your set-up to show us please!

Regards,

RLI

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast