Thread: When you take kids camping

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGOMONSTER View Post
    The last time I went camping in Yarrawonga I caught an 80cm Murray cod from Lake Mulwala and brought it back to camp still alive in the bait tank. I tethered it with about ten metres of line and let it swimming freely to keep it fresh for dinner that night.
    Most of our camp crew girls were going into to town, so I took some of the boys up river for a fish for yellow bellys bug didn't get any. We got back before dusk and I see my Cod floating near the bank with a small log next to it. I screamed "WHO THE F**K DID THIS" so loud the whole camp site heard. Some guy came down from the top of the camp site being really apologetic. He told me that he seen his young boys playing near the waters edge for ages and wondered what was so fascinating when he saw the bludgeoned fish on the bank.
    I was so cut but really couldn't do nothing about it. Both kids came down to say sorry and their dad gave me two full 9kg gas bottles. I was pretty happy with the gesture, but still cut about the cod as most of our camping group had never tasted Murray cod and were all looking forward to it. No more legal cod caught for the rest of that trip.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

That is a real shame - Murray Cod isn't that easy to catch. I would have been upset too.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygtu View Post
    That is a real shame - Murray Cod isn't that easy to catch. I would have been upset too.

Mic
    Yes but kids are kids, I probably would have done the same thing if I found a line in the water with a big scary looking fish on the end of it.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGOMONSTER View Post
    The last time I went camping in Yarrawonga I caught an 80cm Murray cod from Lake Mulwala and brought it back to camp still alive in the bait tank. I tethered it with about ten metres of line and let it swimming freely to keep it fresh for dinner that night.
    Most of our camp crew girls were going into to town, so I took some of the boys up river for a fish for yellow bellys bug didn't get any. We got back before dusk and I see my Cod floating near the bank with a small log next to it. I screamed "WHO THE F**K DID THIS" so loud the whole camp site heard. Some guy came down from the top of the camp site being really apologetic. He told me that he seen his young boys playing near the waters edge for ages and wondered what was so fascinating when he saw the bludgeoned fish on the bank.
    I was so cut but really couldn't do nothing about it. Both kids came down to say sorry and their dad gave me two full 9kg gas bottles. I was pretty happy with the gesture, but still cut about the cod as most of our camping group had never tasted Murray cod and were all looking forward to it. No more legal cod caught for the rest of that trip.

That would really tear the fork out Mego
    Drive is 04 DX wagon, 165Ks, Dual Batts, 12000kg Warn in steel bar, Snorkel, Xray 220 Hid Spots, Cruise, digital EGT, Draws in back with power box, 40Ltr Waeco for the essentuals

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    80cm certainly a decent cod, most we get are around 600- 750mm.
    Anyway I'm keeping this thread active as now the weather is warming up and tracks will open soon.
    Itll be time to get out there, but please be safe, really think about your recovery and make sure the little ones and not so
    little are well clear. Plenty of equipment out there for safe recoveries if you don't know, bloody ask, no stupid questions here
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Woof (25th September 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    80cm certainly a decent cod, most we get are around 600- 750mm.
    Lake Mulwala we normally get good size cod but the river mostly under size.
    We normally camp outside Yarrawonga.

2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Didn't think it would happen so soon, Sadly a young tacker and an adult have lost their lives in a boating accident on a lake in central NSW.
    Could this have been avoided, thats not for me to say. 7 in a tinne, not sure on boating laws in NSW but Children under 12 I think must wear PDF's
    Keep an eye on every one just a complete waste, sympathy to all concerned

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See stupid things like that all the time, too many on the boat all cheering holding up their cans of beer, no life jackets. New south waters now require all person wear PDF on small watercraft.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Again I have to drag up this thread,
    Another young lady has sadly lost her life paddling on the Murray. I'm positive these "ACCIDENTS" are avoidable
    how well thats the hard part. Just make sure every one who goes with you comes home. I'll keep dragging this thread up till
    every one gets what I'm on about.

Sympathy to all concerned

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Murray river is extremely dangerous, especially after major floods which we've had several. All fallen logs, trees, snags have all moved and the river is completely different. You can never trust it. The currents are extremely powerful, strong and fast flowing, if you get caught by the current and your not a good swimmer then the outcome won't d very good. It's very easy to get snagged up on a submerged log/tree and the current WILL pull you under.
    The Murray is a force to be weary of.
    Play safe around water and never, I mean never take your eyes off children near the water. If boating don't drink alcohol or stay under .05. I recently bent the gear shaft on my outboard after hitting a submerged log. I got complacent because I knew the river so well, I literally knew where every snag was but not after floods. Could have ended much worse.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Very true Mego, They let a lot of water out recently and the Murray was running a banker, levels are down now.
    One scarey looking force when in full flood, this pic is near Bearii on the way To Picola as the water was half way up
    the windsheild getting to camp, after pouring down all night ,we thought it would be wise to get out another way. Not one of our better weekends away LOL. can you see my mate in RH pic, thats the road
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 5th October 2012 at 09:02 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast