Thread: In line air filter from snorkel

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In line air filter from snorkel

Hay team.

So I have a snorkel fitted to my 2.8 gq, but not plumbed in yet, I recently saw on a work mates forby that he had removed the filter box and placed all plumbing direct to intake, he then put a filter over snorkel ram head. He said never had a problem.

I liked the set up, and made heaps of room under bonnet.

Just seeing peoples thoughts on this, I'm assuming as long as good pre filter on ram head should be no drama.
    Saving Yotas Since Creation

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I have read that correctly I wouldnt do what your work mate has done. In the long run he is asking for trouble with a setup like that. Its much better and safer for your engine to retain a filter in the engine bay. It can do its job far more effectively and is away from the elements so less likely to get water etc into intake. I have seen ill affects from people only running a pod filter on top of the snorkel instead of the ram head. If your looking for more space and keeping optimum filtration (always best to filter air in a diesel in the best possible way) I would go a GU air box this will tidy everything up quite nicely and will filter correctly.

Cheers

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

GQ snail (22nd September 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,545 Times in 6,615 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep ^^^^^^^ X2 ^^^^^^^

Your mate is a bit of a wally bud. Is he running a Donaldson Snorkel head or something? They are designed to take the heavy matter out of the air on the way in but are in No Way a Filter! Certainly they catch a bucket load of Dust and that is why you run them so your Filter has a chance of actually breathing some half clean air in a very dusting environment (Convoy driving in the middle of Summer)

Even the "Pre -Filter" that goes in that airbox is not rated for Primary Filtration and Nissan recommend running the Pre Filter and the Primary filter.

The GU airbox is slightly larger than the prefilter box on a GQ and takes a slightly different filter but it is rated as a Primary Filter and not a prefilter.

If you r happy to loose the second battery location the the ZD30 airbox is a winner.

Clean Air my friend! There is no Substitute and you cant half do it.

Also - Air Volume IN must equal or Exceed Air Volume going OUT for the best power available.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't risk having a filter exposed to the elements like that =/
    3.0L '02 GU
    - Xrox bar - 33" MT 4rib ATZs -roof console - provent 200 PCV filter - 3" Stainless Exhaust