Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerry cans

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Jerry cans

I was wondering what the forum's opinion is on jerry cans. I reckon I'll need 4 20l ones and they would go on the roof rack. Is there a reason to go for metal cans if I only intend to keep fuel in them for a day or two at a time? Will jerry cans release fuel fumes? And where's a good place to buy them cheap? I've seen the metal ones for as little as 30$ when on sale.

Cheers!
    '93 GQ 4.2l diesel: 3" Koni/King lift, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, 165l tanks, snorkel, roof rack, rooftop tent, CB radio, DIY storage, dual battery setup, & 50l Waeco fridge.
    RIP '95 GQ 4.2l petrol/lpg, RIP '89 Pajero

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What part of Melbourne you in mate? There's an Aussie disposals in seaford that had metal 20ltr Jerry's for 15 if I remember correctly

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Where you going to need extra 80 ltrs of fuel, bit of weight up top??
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Plastic ones are a lot lighter than steel ones, something to think about if you're gonna be lifting them on and off the roof. I've seen plastic ones bulge in the heat, they were cheap ones though. If I was gonna buy one I'd probably go plastic but would only buy a good quality one.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of each the metal one was my dads that he had for quite some time and the Plastic one I bought dec last year the metal one has not leaked once or let any fumes out. The plastic one does the job but has to stand upright when full or it leaks. With putting them on your roof try and stick with the rule of keeping the weight as close to centre of gravity as you can, especially 4wding.

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krbrooking View Post
    I have one of each the metal one was my dads that he had for quite some time and the Plastic one I bought dec last year the metal one has not leaked once or let any fumes out. The plastic one does the job but has to stand upright when full or it leaks. With putting them on your roof try and stick with the rule of keeping the weight as close to centre of gravity as you can, especially 4wding.
    Yeah so that way you can drive over little twigs on the ground

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plastic willow ones are good with the handle on the back.

Supercrap has a handy function on their website. It emails you when the item you selected is on sale. Just don't lose the password. Might allow you to buy 5 for the price of 4 due to the special.

Don't fill them right up. Leave room for expansion. When doing up the lids, gently squeeze the container so the sides stick in a bit. Then do it up. Then you have some room for expansion without stretching the containers or venting fumes.

Tipsy-tap

9. The Following User Says Thank You to P4trol For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (22nd October 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Guess it all depends on what else you're going to be carrying up there. Your roof is only rated to carry 100kg (might be 110).......... 4 jerry cans would be approx 80kg, then there's the weight of your rack.... And yes I know there's plenty of folk out there who have carried a damn sight more but not something I would do.

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would look at getting a long Range Fuel Tank rather than carry 4 Jerry Cans of Fuel on Roof Rack.
    Your Centre of Gravity is affected and it is dangerous.
    Just my thoughts
    Last edited by Bob; 21st September 2012 at 07:25 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies!
    I've a petrol/LPG GQ with 100l LPG and 70l petrol. I couldn't test her yet in only 4WD through a full tank to get precise figures but I use some 25l LPG / 100km driving HWY and around 28l when cruising dirt roads in 2WD and a few sports with 4WD to get through.

My estimates go like this:
    100l LPG for 300km (33l / 100km)
    70l petrol for 250km (28l / 100km)

I've gone through the "Discover Australia 4WD" atlas by Ron & Viv Moon for distances without fuel. The longest seem to be 750km for the Anne Beadell followed by the Gunbarrel with 720km and the Canning with 690km with a fuel drop.
    That's why I was aiming for being able to carry fuel for 800km which means another 70l.

In my opinion the best place for the jerry cans would be between rear seats and cargo barrier when the rear seats are folded to the front. Super low and between the axis. But inside the car. Hence the fumes question. Especially because the Missus is allergic to them.

I didn't know the roof is rated to 100 or 110kg. I probably already have that with the 60kg roof top tent and a 2nd space wheel on a steel rack...
    '93 GQ 4.2l diesel: 3" Koni/King lift, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, 165l tanks, snorkel, roof rack, rooftop tent, CB radio, DIY storage, dual battery setup, & 50l Waeco fridge.
    RIP '95 GQ 4.2l petrol/lpg, RIP '89 Pajero

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast