OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GQ Clock only works when it wants to!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems my clock is possesed as well. Works when it feels like it.

Does anybody know if the 'dodgy clock issue' affects any of the other electrics, or is influenced/caused by other electrickery ?

Patch any chance of getting a squiz at the fix please ? I'd like to do mine.

Cheers
    Simon
    Just joined the GU club... Happy days !
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambroast View Post

Does anybody know if the 'dodgy clock issue' affects any of the other electrics, or is influenced/caused by other electrickery ?

Cheers
    Simon
    Simon I will be starting a change over system on this forum for clocks at a highly discounted price for members sometime in the next month or 2 so keep an eye out if your interested.

Cheers
    Paul

4. The Following User Says Thank You to patch697 For This Useful Post:

Lambroast (3rd January 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cheers
    Simon

Hiya Simon

The problem will only affect the clock.

Can you solder at all? ... If so, pull the clock out and access the circuit board. You will see a large resistor (bottom centre) and a poor solder joint here is usually (maybe 50%) but not always the culprit.

Anyway, inspect the board and components for obvious damage/dry joints then resolder the power socket connections on the front lower left, flip the board over and resolder all the component pads on the back especially the large resistor.

DON'T redo the microchip/display soldering unless you know what you are about .

There is a small capacitor that sometimes craps itself as well (very bottom RH corner) up to you what to do about that one.

To resolder the pads just apply the iron and a quick dab with a very small amount of solder, this will fix about 95% of GQ clock problems.

If you can't solder or don't want to have a crack then do an exchange one with Patch when he gets going... buying one from a wrecker or Ebay usually results in getting another with the exact same issues unless they have redone them.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

AkaiDD (27th November 2012), Lambroast (3rd January 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Patch and Evil twin,

Home tommorow so I reckon I'll be pulling the clock out. I do have an electronics background so the soldering job should be fairly straight forward.

Will let you know how it goes.

Simon
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Patch and Evil twin,

Home tommorow so I reckon I'll be pulling the clock out. I do have an electronics background so the soldering job should be fairly straight forward.

Will let you know how it goes.

Simon
    Aaahhhh... goodo... didn't want to teach you to suck eggs so apologies for that but you never know who is who on the Forum

If you are 'lekky savvy the breakdown of faults on an "intermittent clock" is sorta like...
    Dry Joints 70% (usually the large resistor or power socket but best to do 'em all)
    Broken track 15%
    Dodgy electrolytics/capacitors 15%

It seems there was probably a bad batch of Clocks for dry joints at some point as a lot of people never have a problem but there is such a high incidence of people that do it can't be just "one of those things"
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

AkaiDD (27th November 2012), Lambroast (4th January 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK sweet cheers evil twin.

Clock's coming out soon. I'll be letting it know it's 'time up' on it's dodgy timekeeping habits Lol I kill me !

Have had my fair share of lekkie gremlins over the last few yrs. Damn thing kept flattening batteries on me. Was driving me nuts. Get home from work all ok. Following morning dead flat. Swap battery. Recharge. Repeat process. Repeat process intermittently for about 4 weeks. Fix included: Replaced both batteries (Got a dual setup), replaced alternator, pulled out front passenger lekkie window motor & cleaned it up (still rooted but works occasionally - Pulled it out myself after a visit to a large chain auto sparky mob acheived sweet FA - Long story for another time, not happy Jan), Finally cracked the shits and took it to the local bloke here and left it there. "Fix the bastard or set it on fire. I don't want it back until either one happens ! " 3 days later get a call from them. Turns out aftermarket cooling fan in front of the radiator is buggered. Draining the battery big time. YAY ! Greenwood Autospark - Bloody Champions !

Probably going to open a can of worms playing with the clock, but ..yaaaahhh what the hell !

Cheers
    Simon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    to all forum members that are interested...............

Given the hi amount of clocks that have problems I may poll this thread & see how many members here would like some sort of change over system?

If the response is good I will gather up a few clocks & repair them & for a small fee (to cover parts & postage) I will do a change over for forum members only.

Whats your thoughts????
    I think that the price is more than fair, and the fact that some of the amount is going to the forum is great! You can work on mine whenever you are up and running as well

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    I think that the price is more than fair, and the fact that some of the amount is going to the forum is great! You can work on mine whenever you are up and running as well
    Cheers Gordy I'll PM you when I have some C/O's ready.

Cheers
    Paul

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    Cheers Gordy I'll PM you when I have some C/O's ready.

Cheers
    Paul
    I would also be interested in your fix when you are up and running with it Patch697

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. Clock done. Was fairly painless. Seems to work ok. Pulled off the drivers door trim to investigate
    Rattling noise and dodgy speaker. Noise fixed. Speaker working. Checking everything works
    from drivers door window/lock controls and rear drivers window decides to pack it in job for tommorow methinks...

Simon

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast