Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clutch DIY

This is a general DIY for a clutch replacement in the Nissan GQ Patrol and is my own experience in performing this task at home.
    If you are performing this for the first time you will need to allow at least a few days for this job and during some critical times will need the hand of a couple of mates (do not try to do this job on your own)
    This is not a technically hard job but a very heavy job and can be dangerous .
    You will need mostly basic tools but good quality tools help as there is some very heavy use on them.
    Also a clutch aligning tool.
    You will need some way of suspending the gearbox/Transfer case through the car down into the gearbox tunnel eg: I used an engine crane and found this to be perfect.
    Also a transmission jack is very helpful but you can get by with a normal jack but be very careful as this unit is very heavy (around the 200kg mark) and you will need a second jack.
    I had the use of a modified jack borrowed from a mate.
    Another thing is it is a great help if you can get the car up higher, I sat my car on top of a spare set of wheels I had and even with this and a 2inch lift it was still not high enough to get the gearbox from under the car.

Now the first thing is to disconnect the battery and take the bolts out for the starter motor.
    If you plan to replace the main seal then you will need to drain the oil as you have to remove the sump.
    Now remove the front and rear drive shafts and pay attention to how the bolts will go back (take photos), if you need to replace uni joints this is a good time, you may need to lock and unlock hubs and put in gear to undo bolts.
    Remove the clutch slave and just leave it hanging.
    Ok get cleaned up and lets start on the interior, start by removing the seats and once this is done start to disassemble the centre consol. First take off the gear knobs and then the plastic surround (if you have a Ti).
    There are 2 sets of plates you need to remove from this to give you lots of room to manoeuvre the gearbox , take out the centre storage console as it is easier to disconnect the handbrake from here.
    You will need to remove the gear selector, this is done with a sirclip and the whole unit comes out.
    I undid the 6 bolts and broke the gasket then relised I did not need to do this.
    I could not completely remove the 4wd select so just undid the bolts holding it to the gearbox and moved it so it did not get in the way.

Now if you managed to get an engine crane bring it through the front passenger door and you will need a very heavy duty strap, I used a tree protector and lashed it around the gearbox twice making sure you don’t go over the top of oil feed lines and electrics .

There is no exact spot it just make sure when you do take the weight the whole crane does not come forward and start pulling against the console where your radio is.
    Now is the time to take some weight with the crane (only a bit) and then start undoing the cross member bolts, first undo the nuts from the gearbox mounts through cross member then undo the 8 bolts 4 either side.
    Be very careful at this stage as there will be a lot of weight on the strap.
    Now is the time to lower the gearbox down , don’t worry it can take it but the engine fan should be touching the plastic guard.
    Once this is done you should have enough room to remove the 2 top bolts holding the bell housing to the engine, you need to go through from inside the car and there will be two 17mm bolts about 11 oclock and 1 oclock and you will need long extensions to reach.
    Once they are removed undo the wiring loom from that runs along gearbox and also the oil feed to the top of the gear selector ,Now you can lift the gearbox back up to normal level and start to undo the rest of the bolts from below.
    While under the car look up toward the spot either side of the bell housing to see if the transmission tunnel has signs of having the sides bashed out. Mine had, it is a sign this job has been done before.
    If you have not already disconnected the handbrake from inside do so now.
    You should be ready for the next big step and this is where mates come in handy.
    Before you start trying to separate the gearbox from the engine have a good look around for any cables or so you might have missed as it can be a pain trying to undo later.
    Now you need to have a jack towards the front of the engine to help get the tilt you need but try not to use the sump as I did, I bent the sump and when I started the car there was an awful clacking noise as the conrod was hitting it. I then had to remove the sump and bash it back out!!
    This is the really hard bit and I wish you well, some come easy some just don’t.
    You need to start working the gearbox back enough to be able to turn it on an angle so it will fit past the firewall on the starter motor side,you need to use the transmission jack to take the weight off the straps so you can twist the gearbox. I spent ages struggling with this then it was like magic it just popped out, bloody hard though.
    You will need to support the gearbox with a transmission jack, I used ratchet straps to hold the gearbox to the jack.
    It is now you should be able to undo the straps from the crane but leave them still on and manoeuvre the gearbox around so you can get access to both the back of the engine and the bell housing.
    Start with the clutch itself , a rattle gun comes in handy about now and start undoing the clutch just watch the last bolt as these are also heavy, I had a mate hold it from above.
    Now the flywheel is very heavy so be careful you don’t get donked with this or it could be a trip to the hospital.
    Now the bolts are going to be hard to undo and the engine is going to want to turn over, you need to put a bolt back into the engine where the bell housing bolts up and one through where the outer clutch bolted in and use a prybar to hold it while you crack the main bolts for the flywheel.

Once this is removed you can start to remove the sump and mail seal holder if this is what you want.
    Now you need to send the flywheel off to get machined, do not remove the thrust bearing until you are ready to put it all together as it does not take long to do this job and you don’t need to go losing bits or struggling to remember how it goes back together.
    If you are doing the main seal follow the factory service manual as this is an easy part but undoing and doing back up the sump is very tedious .
    Once the flywheel is done you need to start re-assembly and you need to make sure the flywheel is clean of contaminants and you do not go touching the friction plate with dirty hands.
    Now install the flywheel with the help of a mate and follow torque settings then put in the clutch aligning tool and fit the friction plate then the outer plate and do up bolts in a even criss cross pattern then follow torque settings now remove aligning tool.
    Remove thrust bearing from bell housing and clean all parts, the grease must be of the specified type and must be used carefully as you do not want it to get on the clutch.
    Install the new thrust bearing and add grease.

If your actuator rubber that goes through the bell housing is worn or cracked it is really a good time to replace it as water and mud find there way in through here.
    You will need to make a call on whether you want to remodel your transmission tunnel to make it easier to get the gearbox back in, I tried for ages to get mine back in and ended up pulling the gearbox back again to allow room to bash the wall in to give me the room needed.
    It is a good idea to make up 2 bolts that will thread into the back of the engine as a guide and need to be long enough that they stick out so you can remove after, you need to cut the heads off and make a slit to fit a flat blade screw driver so you can undo then after gearbox is in.
    Thanks to Silver for this tip.
    It seems to be common and have even heard of people cutting the wall away and making a plate that goes back (nuts)
    This part is really hard and all hands are needed, you need to get the angle right and the gear box should be slight off alignment so as the get the starter motor part of the bell housing in.
    Make sure you do not damage tongues of the clutch.
    This is constant playing with jacks plus crane to get the right position and can get frustrating.
    You will need to take slack off the crane once in close enough so you can twist the gearbox level.

Hopefully you now have it lined up, you may need to take the weight while a mate cranks the engine so the shaft goes in nicely as if it is not lined up properly or the angle is not right it will not go in.
    I had a mate at the back of the gearbox pushing it toward the front while I took the weight of the bell housing and tried to guide it in.
    Now if all has gone well it will be in and you will be in joy!!!
    Now start fitting the bolts in from the bottom but don’t do them up tight just yet, you still need to get those 2 top ones in.

Once done you can do them up tight and reconnect cables and so on.
    Lift the gearbox up when you are sure all bolts are done properly and start to install the cross member.
    Once this is done then the rest is just a reverse of the removal procedure by installing the drive shafts clutch slave electrics oil feed.
    You can now remove the straps from the car and start to put your interior back in.
    This is my experience and yours may differ to mine, this should be used as a guide only.
    Use your manual for torque settings and where to grease and not to, study your manual before performing this to give you an understanding of the parts involved.
    Cheers!!!
    Last edited by Bloodyaussie; 14th September 2012 at 01:11 PM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Diesel-Mate (26th April 2013), KL570 (14th September 2012), MC97GQ (26th April 2013), mudnut (29th May 2013), MudRunnerTD (23rd May 2013), my third 256 (11th June 2013), Parksy (29th May 2013), patch697 (14th September 2012), PeeBee (2nd July 2017), rkinsey (14th September 2012), Silver (14th September 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job mate & thanks heaps for your post, this is exactly why I love this forum & all the ppl that go into making it.

This post will be able to help many Patrol lovers world wide.

Love your work.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    top job mate! thanks!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    should sticky this!

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries, it proves to me I could not sit in an office typing all day!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate,

I have moved this into the DIY, Mechanical Section of the forum

Excellent write up, thanks for sharing
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a well piece of documented work. Well done.
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks . im looking at changing my auto for a manual . this will help

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great write up BA, well done mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work mate. Good info for planning to do a clutch job at home. Preparation for this job is a must such as equipment required and enven more importantly my mechanic mate. This is going to cost more than a 6 pack.LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast