Thread: 2004 Y61 Whine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mark,

You would think the mechanics could sort it out, but a whine that increases with the revs could be due to the belt tensioner pulley wearing out ( common issue ), bearing on the AC Compressor ( another common issue ), leak on the EGR Valve ( might have small crack or they can warp after time and heat so it doesn't seal properly against the gasket ), turbo - which should be sorted anyway with a new one, drive belt itself as already suggested, water pump, alternator bearings.

One way to sort this out is to remove the serpentine drive belt from the front of the engine, start it up give it a rev or two and see if the whine has disappeared. If it has, then it is definitely something running on the belt. This wont hurt the engine if you don't run it for too long - i've seen the panel beaters around my work driving cars in and out with no radiators whilst they are being repaired. As long as the vehicle is only running for a minute, it won't build up enough heat to damage anything.

I'm with your mechanic in saying it is unlikely to be timing gears.

As three dogs mentioned a snorkel will help you hear the spooling of the turbo, which is a normal noise, but usually hidden under the bonnet - maybe you are hearing what is considered to be normal noise as hearing it as a whine....although you would think the mechanics would be onto that one straightaway.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, picked it up today the Diesal mechanics couldn't work it out, they have dropped all the belts, blown black smoke through it and found the intercooler leaked like a sieve and replaced that but whine still there, they can't hear the noise when the turbo hose is disconnected, blew black smoke up the exhaust and couldn't see a leak, admittedly not able to generate much pressure but higher than atmosphere. Checked EGR and it's good, no leaks, current take is unlikely a major issue so drive it till it gets worse/becomes apparent what the issue is, thanks for the feedback and I will certainly advise if I get to the bottom of it....bottom line, I have a Rainbow Beach/Fraser/40 mile beach trip planned for the next fortnight and if it blows on the beach then I might nudge it to the water line, no way am I not going for it, so it whines.....must be a girl :P

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe---
    Garbage behind A/C pulley?
    A/C pulley bearing?.
    Power steer pump or valve ?
    Does the turbo system draw from emission control system/piping? could have a partial blockage
    Last edited by Robo; 21st September 2012 at 03:19 AM.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12