Thread: what to expect/get for a camper under 6 k

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Decided against buying a camper trailer guys. Even spending 5k on a cheap camper I was finding it hard to justify. It only takes us around 1.5hrs to fully setup camp anyway. Fully. With kids stuff and everything. As much as I'd love to have a camper, me and the wife sat down and thought real hard about it, first was trying to justify to ourselves why we need to spend a minimum of 5k just for a tent on a trailer. Then we also thought of where the hell we are going to put it. No room at our place...
    So now the plans will have to be drawn up on a few mods for my 7 x 5 I have. One thing is a longer draw bar so I can fit a big box on it, to fit the fridge and battery in. This 80l Engel takes up most of the back of the wagon.Then new suspension to fit atleast 31's under it. I'm a pretty good Arc welder so when I have a spare millisecond I'll measure up the trailer and start working it out.

Thanks to all who helped, sorry for wasting your time now...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered a removeable frame to sit in the tub of your 7 x 5, & putting a rooftop tent on it. Could probably reduce your set up time to 15 minutes or less, & still have a trailer useable for other stuff.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a thought we have a older jayco swan they are cheep to buy if you look . we got one with the rubber torsion suspension , very easy to lift a couple of inches sleeps 5 , 3way firdge oven etc . i tow it all over fraiser , moreton , straddy , no dramers and comfortable to boot ,

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yeah cuppa we have considered that to, there is a mob who does them, can't remember their name, but their price was around 2.5k.That was hard to swallow, just for a fecking tent on a wooden base... Still haven't taken that out though. I want to prep the trailer first with a longer draw bar and better suspension. Get it sandblasted and repainted, nice big box on the front to hold the 80L Engel and a battery box, PV panels etc. But I'm now twisted in a whirl of what to do first kinda thing. I'm trying to save for a front air locker too and all this trailer AND solar panel mods I want/need to do its driving me crazy. The missus nearly shat a cow when I came home with the new 80L Engle Combi fridge the last night. Now I just came home from the vets and that was 3hunge and they haven't finished!!!! Holy shite! The CC cards getting a wollop at the moment and we haven't even started christmas shoopping for the kids yet! Maybe I should jut give them the Engel and tell them to be grateful!
    I need a beer now...

Edit : Now I have my beer...

Gaddy, i know those Jayco's are cheap, we had one years ago, but two things are stopping us here, justifiable price and we to put the bloody thing. If those two are not justified we can't buy one. More than anything is where to put it. I tell you now if we had room to put it somewhere, I would have already bought one as I have looked at about 10 over the last three weeks, I basically had to duct tape my mouth whilst looking at them. Because I knew in the back of my mind that we got no place to put it, except the front yard, which that aint gonna happen.
    Now I need another beer....Loving this warmer weather. Bring on summer!!!
    Last edited by mudski; 28th November 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456