User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: what to expect/get for a camper under 6 k

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very interesting point about draw bars. If you want a trailer that won`t let you down, the draw bar should go down as far as the rear of the springs. this gives strength. I mentioned in another thread some where here, if you find a brand trailer you like, google that brand. You will find all the positve verse negative very quickly. We did this when buying our`s. Ended up buying a "Lifestyle Camper" Good luck
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We looked at a few and saw what you could get for your money. We ended up getting one that I'll modify later to meet our future needs but do now. Upgrades include treg hitch 6stud patrol pattern electric brakes and water tank. All I can do myself cheap as in a boilermaker and plastic welder. We paid 5500 for our set up tough full hot dipped gal steel trailer with tool boxes gas fuel water carriers great tent awning and annex. Came with lights tables chairs duel batteries tools kitchen sinks camp ovens stoves 3 gas bottles all ropes pegs 2 huge tarps. All we need to do to camp is pack food clothes and go. Love it served the week at the forum meet well
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a friend who had endless problems with his GIC up the cape this season. Reports all over the net about poor after sakes service & general failures. I would certainly consider crossing them off the list if you are planning any serious trips - corrugations kill.

My option would be go for better quality 2nd hand. Make sure the basics (trailer frame, canvas etc) are strong, well designed & functional. The rest can be built on & upgraded over time if necessary.

Sometimes it's worth spending some extra $$ to save heartache on the track & endless weekends doing repairs.

Tappity tap don't look back
    2011 CRD with a bunch of stuff bolted on

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think I've been talked out of those sub 5k new campers. Albeit being a "cheap" camper, 5k is a lot for us to outlay on something that wont cut the mustard. I reckon our max would be 7k, so I have two ways to attack this...

1. Buy a second hand camper
    2. Convert my existing 7 x 4 trailer to a camper, but I still want to use it as a trailer too. For rubbish runs etc etc

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There is a formula for the drawbar for every 1 ft of drawbar ra ra ra tub length. forgotten it. A 180 cm drawbar will tow/ reverse like a dream.
    All the trailers I've made I try to have triple drawbar with centre one picking up all points under tub part. Never weld tub to draw bar as thats where they break.
    Avoid slipper springs,, when people say off road what do we really mean, Billy goat bluff /Zeka spur ,no fool would tow a trailer up those track.
    Don't get me started on "OFF ROAD" caravans lmfao really off road
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whats rego cost for the average 7x4 camper?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90 in qld or something like that
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So I finished work today at 12pm in Campbellfield and drove south toward the city to my next job and saw E & Z trading had a showroom in Campbellfield so I though to stop and take a quick look.
    I went in with an open mind knowing they are cheap and cheap is what you will get. I actually crawled under one of the campers and had a good look. While I'm no expert welder the welds seem to me to be good. The chassis ends need to be sealed in my opinion to stop water getting in, The lower shocker bracket I can see would be the first thing to break. No biggie and an easy fix to make it stronger.
    The canvas seemed o.k while the zippers i would have thought they need to be a bit heavier. The hard floor camper they had, I like the outside but the the floor for the inside I did not like, it if were straight and flush, maybe...
    The draw bar only went as far as the front of the springs, the galvanising look alight, the paint job, meh! What I did like was that you could swap and change things from other campers to a camper you like to suit your needs.
    I did ask the salesman about where they were made. As he constantly was referring to his warehouse in Kilsyth, he said they were made in Kilsyth, I said "assembled? Or made?" He said roughly half of the material is imported but the entire unit is assembled here in OZ. But what isn't made overseas and assembled here?
    This is going totally against my train of though here. BUT, I'm not buying anything mind you, just an observation...? You can clearly see what you get is what you pay for in comparison to a top line model camper. You pay excess of 15k , you will get top quality, it's expected, so the quality obviously drops as you pay less. But in all honestly they weren't too bad. Still didn't say I was buying anything...But, but, I would be doing some mods to the suspension, paint and a few other things to the trailer if I were to lay out my hard eared for one. The Draw slide roller were what looked like to me made out of wood, draw and door seals looks pretty good on some models but other models just had like a stick on neoprene seal slapped on like what you would get from Clarke Rubber. LED tail lights, hinges had grease nipples on one of the models.
    As for sales people, the fat dude they had their was too lazy to get up and talk to me, too many pies for lunch maybe, so I walked off and then a young Asian guy came up and was actually very polite and help with any questions that I asked. Although he seemed to struggle with some questions he was good.
    So I am still stuck on what to do. I think soft floor will be better for my needs, family an space wise, and GVM of the trailer too. Mod my 7x4 I have? It would need a longer draw bar, new suspension, axle, wheels, brakes, draws made and fitted, then the purchase on the tent to fit on top? Hmm, I reckon it will be easier to have another trailer, but then I come to the issue of space at home. I literally have none.

Over and out.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Was about to suggest a lift out arrangement but like me you don't have the room, Where do you intend taking this[any] trailer if or when you decide, either way
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mostly to bush camp sites, like Sheepyard flats, Murrindindi, Pineapple flat. Nothing too extreme at all.
    Like I have said, I ain't buying anything yet. I just wanted to go in with an open mind to see for myself. I want to look at some second hand and maybe new of the known branded campers too. But with how busy I have been lately with work, its going to be a long process. Was hoping to get away to Sheepyards on Cup weekend but it looks like a miss, again.
    Last edited by mudski; 20th October 2012 at 09:46 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast