Thread: Spray Painting Tips and Tricks

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do appreciate what it is your trying to do here Bigus but truly old mate, to answer your questions in the best way I can think of is this:

Surely there is someone up your way (could even be a good mate of the famous Bigrig perhaps???) who's a spray painter & would be willing to show you & guide you first hand???

You can ask all the questions you want on the subject but you will find that most ppl in the industry will have they're own way of doing things & so, so much of it is relied entirely on touch & sight, non of which can be explained or experienced on a forum post.

There are many on our wonderfully vast knowledge based forum with tones & tones of genuinely excellent advice but the truth to it is, if you truly want that end result then stand beside someone who knows & learn first hand.

Its the best way I promise you.
    Last edited by patch697; 12th September 2012 at 04:19 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    I do appreciate what it is your trying to do here Bigus but truly old mate, to answer your questions in the best way I can think of is this:

Surely there is someone up your way (could even be a good mate of the famous Bigrig perhaps???) who's a spray painter & would be willing to show you & guide you first hand???

You can ask all the questions you want on the subject but you will find that most ppl in the industry will have they're own way of doing things & so, so much of it is relied entirely on touch & sight, non of which can be explained or experienced on a forum post.

There are many on our wonderfully vast knowledge based forum with tones & tones of genuinely excellent advice but the truth to it is, if you truly want that end result then stand beside someone who knows & learn first hand.

Its the best way I promise you.
    That probably is the best idea mate - thanks.

But alas, I'm still gunna have a lash!!! lmao

So, anyone ... anyone ... anyone??

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

patch697 (12th September 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    theres a trick to finding if the paint is thinned down enough. Mix it with your stirrer then lift the stirrer out and watch the paint run off. It should run in a continuous thin stream(for a second or two) then drip, not just drip. It's hard to explain but i reckon you'd be able to find it on the ewetoob. Ask the guy approximate amounts when you buy the paint. Better to have it on the thin side and do an extra coat. When thinner, it's easier to apply

tap, crackle, pop
    just as threedogs said just like having a pee just watch the drips though dont get them on your boots pmsl
    practice on cardboard or tin and see how ya go get some old paint and try it
    short even strokes or long strokes

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    That probably is the best idea mate - thanks.

But alas, I'm still gunna have a lash!!! lmao

So, anyone ... anyone ... anyone??
    Ok seems your insistent to the point of annoyance....lol

Right we know from the build thread & the existence of this thread that you are soon looking at painting the new edition.

First things first: Preparation is first & foremost the biggest key to any good paint job. any shortcuts you take "WILL" come back to bight you sooner or later.

Its important to note at this point that you need to decide on what "TYPE" of pain your going to be using for your top/colour coat as this will determine what preparation you will need to moving forward with. Now how & what to choose????

There are a few things to consider when choosing the type of paint that will best suit your needs:

#1, Environment?.... the aria or space in which the product will be applied.

#2. The finished surface?..... A full metal respray or painting over a pre existing paint job whether it be part or full?

#3. Product durability?...... What product is best going to stand up to the vehicles application?

There are a few others that may need to be considered as well, budget for example. But answering the 3 questions listed above will go a long way in taking the first real step that needs to be taken, "to determine what paint is best for me?" Once we have established that, we can move one to the right type of preparation.
    Last edited by patch697; 13th September 2012 at 10:51 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to patch697 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th September 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha-ha, Scotty, im not a spray painter, and far from a expert (but have at least painted a whole car before), i was coming over on Sat to help with the fence ,but will be happy to talk you through what i would do with regard to painting ya car.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    I was coming over on Sat to help with the fence ,but will be happy to talk you through what i would do with regard to painting ya car.
    Anything to get out of doing the fence *L*

Scotty, just drive it down 2 Sydney next time you come down for work, I know a few suburbs not 2 far away from here where the kids will spray paint your car for free *LMAO*
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

04OFF (12th September 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when you get the paint get a mixing bucket aswell it's like a measuring cup really if the paint is a 4 to 1 mix it has the lines marked on it.
    I'm pretty sure that if you are going enamel the primer and everything has to be enamel and the same for acrylic etc

once you have primed it a few times its time for a guide coat then rub it back to find the high and low points.
    I was taught when doing your top coat do the areas like the door sill, roof sills, edges of panels first the blend the rest of the panel/s in. If your first coat is too dusty it will orange peel and to thick obviously it will run.

my 2c happy to be corrected
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why dont you want to use 2pac? For solid colours its far easier to apply with a good finish and doesnt require a clear coat. With acrylic its all the prep work the painting is maybe only 10% of the job. If you dont do the prep you will have to start all over again. Also high quality paints like ppg etc make life easier too.

Im sure steve with all his expertise will be able to help you no worries at all. Make sure when spraying you keep the gun an even distance from the vehicle at all times to give a nice even coat.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

patch697 (13th September 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    Ha-ha, Scotty, im not a spray painter, and far from a expert (but have at least painted a whole car before), i was coming over on Sat to help with the fence ,but will be happy to talk you through what i would do with regard to painting ya car.
    Top stuff ... on being here to build the fence I mean!!!! lol

Thanks mate - any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Why dont you want to use 2pac? For solid colours its far easier to apply with a good finish and doesnt require a clear coat. With acrylic its all the prep work the painting is maybe only 10% of the job. If you dont do the prep you will have to start all over again. Also high quality paints like ppg etc make life easier too.

Im sure steve with all his expertise will be able to help you no worries at all. Make sure when spraying you keep the gun an even distance from the vehicle at all times to give a nice even coat.
    So 2pac is more "forgiving" as a final coat?? I'm gunna need all the forgiveness I can get!!! lol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast