Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GU Rear Door Table with Gas Struts

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Rear Door Table with Gas Struts

Hey everyone, Shonky the backyard mechanic here!

So I decided a while back that my first 4x4 Theo, will be a touring vehicle.

One of the projects I wanted to achieve was a different type of rear door table. You always see the ones with the rope and it's a sound concept that works quite well, but like all my projects, this one will be different.

I started out with some 16mm treated plywood cut to a decent but not over cumbersome length ( a lot of the tables I see completely cover the door and I didn't want that). Next I procured myself some meshed metal to make some brackets for the struts as well as the slide of the bottom end of the strut.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347264852.236293.jpg

With these sheets I had to grind and cut to make custom slides for this to work. At a later date, some heavier gauge metal will be used but for now this will suffice.

Once I put some hinges on the wood, I was able to dummy install in to get the right position for the slide to work with the struts.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347264796.861219.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347264812.488322.jpg

Once I got the measurements and all the attachments on the wood ie. sliders with the bolt already inside and the hinges, I then got to start putting down the marine carpet. I ended up not using glue like I should have and just staples the life out of it instead.

End result being an auto opening table with strong support to hold as much as the hinges can handle. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347264697.187180.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347264721.182183.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347264732.961254.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347264751.292570.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347264765.769006.jpg
    To say the least, I'm very proud of the outcome although I will be replacing the hinges with some larger ones as well as replace the sliders and bracket for the struts as it was quite flimsy metal and could do with a thicker cut. The prototype is there now and it shouldn't take long to replace now I know what to do.

BTW, all the hardware I got was from my local Bunnings (shameless plug) and all for roughly $40.
    2008 Nissan Patrol GU 6 DX 3.0l and proud of it!

WARNING: Using a Snatch Strap on a Tow Ball can KILL PEOPLE!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shonky For This Useful Post:

The BigFella (11th October 2012), threedogs (10th September 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thats what I'm talking about, love when people think outside the square.
    thats different and I love it . keep them coming !!!!

Is there anything behind the back trim??
    my other 4x4 I built a Mini bar there, we called it a spice rack.
    store sugar, coffee, tea ,UHT milk cartons, and cups with spring loaded door
    I'll get pic of it asap

Edit again,,,, don't those struts come with the bit to fit ends on, could've tack welded to piece of small angle or what ever
    Last edited by threedogs; 10th September 2012 at 06:58 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job and good thinking.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice, i like the gas strut idea.... might have to do the same will the offical name be a shonky table?

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shonky table. I like it.

I have still seen one that out does you: It had gas struts, but with the addition of a magnetic knife holder near the top of the door.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...Mod-Ever/page3

Tipsy-tap

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha I do like the name... Let's call it that.

P4trol, I wish I did see that link earlier, it would have saved me a lot of hassle with the sliders. And it one "outdoes" mine cause it's got a magnetic knife block haha

Threedogs, nothing is behind the trim but that's a bloody good idea. Might have to implement it later on. And no, it didn't come with those end bits, got it from a mate down south who had some spares laying around. The struts are actually pretty strong so the mrs needs to put her whole body weight to close it. Might have to look at improving it along the way.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cool, All I did was jig saw out a square/rectangle without cutting too much of the inner bracing off.
    Measure how deep,wide etc ,make a sheetmatal box with flanges [If thats the right term}, so it'll
    slide in but not disappear, the spring loaded lid covered the whole lot, I you find jars you like make sections to suit,
    eg sugar,coffee go side by side in one section, I'll put up a pic tomorrow sons asleep now,[Shift}
    You could use that space for so much more.
    Last edited by threedogs; 10th September 2012 at 08:43 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought about cutting out the inner guts of the rear door. Would that do any sort of detrimental damage to the structure of the door in regards to the spare tyre? Buckle it perhaps?

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did do a fair amount of googling research before I made mine. It was a great way of bringing out table I might never see otherwise. The problem was I liked features from some and not others. I used pinterest to pin all the pictures on to make flicking between them easy.

Tipsy-tap

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=eg sugar,coffee go side by side in one section, I'll put up a pic tomorrow sons asleep now,[Shift}
    You could use that space for so much more.[/QUOTE]

Where are those pics??
    I love the idea of a storage area within the rear door cavity.
    Filling cavities can be a good thing.
    06 GU IV Nissan Patrol wagon 3.0L, Tough Dog 2" lift, Xrox bar, 12k Mako winch, 33" muddies, 3" exhaust, Awning, UHF, drawers & fridge, custom sliders, DVDs, custom water tank and pump, rack etc etc.
    Now just in - GQ Shorty 4.2 petrol, UHF - but looking at turbo or V8 conversion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast