Thread: Creaking noise when LHF suspension extends

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creaking noise when LHF suspension extends

Having trouble searching for people with similar problems, so am unsure if it is a common problem.

While driving offroad I have noticed a creak noise (more of a groan) when the Left Hand Front wheel drops down/uncompresses ie the wheel flexes downwards into a hole. I know it isn't necessarily the suspension making that noise, but that's the timing of it. It doesn't make the noise when the suspension is compressed. The general location of the noise is the LHF wheel. Other side is fine.

Vehicle: '98 2.8 GU
    2" lift

How do I go about locating the noise? I've looked underneath for any cracked welds or shiny metal where rubbing could be happening.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe use a 2 poster hoist to slowly lift it while keeping an eye/ear out to try & locate the problem.

You could use a jack under the body but a 2 poster would give you a higher,flatter, more even lift, not to mention a safer one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to patch697 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th September 2012)

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem but with right rear. Me, not Silver the mighty Mav.

What follows are just suggestions - not had that problem (yet?)

Body mounts ok? Look for spaces between the lowest washer and the mount above it?

Air leak in shock? Creaky poly bush moving in an eye where something is rotating.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lower spring perch can make a noise.
    Metal to metal contact point.
    Try a little lube on it, see if it disappears.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lifted under the side steps with a trolley jack. Best I had at the time. It changes the view you see under the car.

Ok, this is the closest body mount. If they all look like this, then they are okay?

The spring perch is where the bottom of the spring sits? Haven't seen any place where the metal is rubbing, so I'll keep that one up my sleeve.

I did however notice a branch wedged in. Don't know the technical name for it. Anyway, with the vehicle jacked up, I hypothesized the metal would rub against those stick. The stick isn't new. It was green when it went in, driving an overgrown track. Maybe some sort of acacia. But over the last few months it has dried out. It also has split, making it suddenly easy to remove. Pic is upside down. Sorry.

Test tomorrow and report back

Tipsy-tap

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice clear photos P4trol.

If there is a gap due to worn body mounts, with the body weight on the chassis, any gap will show up in the area currently obscured by the metal mount - there will be the underside of that mount, the gap, if any, then the rubber, washer and bolt.

The stick looks a likely candidate :-)
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could possibly have a bolt seized in your radius arm bush (the dont know the technical name of object retaining your branch) so when it flexes its rotating the bolt instead of the bush rotating around the bolt.

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, you took a good pic of spring perch.
    you may not see rubbing as could be hidden by the spring.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your other stuff didnt fix the problem, ive heard the sway bars/links can make a noise as you describe, especially when one wheel is hanging and the other side is compressed, as this works them pretty hard.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for all the ideas fellas!

I was unable to replicate the sound using the trolley jack. A short test drive this morning and it didn't make the sound.

(Tapatalk is awesome for getting photos up. Beats the whole shoot/upload from camera/ resize / upload to web)

Tipsy-tap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast