OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: top shock mount stuffed. HELP.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you leave the shock alone, and use coil spring compressors to crush the coil and get it out? Even trap the coil in the compressors by jacking up the axle and using it to squash the coil?

NOTE: in saying this I have not done it, I do not know if it is safe, and I don't know what it would be like releasing the tension from the spring compressors. Nervous, I suppose, there would be a bit of energy stored up in the system :-)
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:

dan dog (8th September 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to cut it off anyway as there's no room in its location to tap a new thread onto it. I think previous owner has cross threaded it when putting shocks in. Nut came off easy. When I removed shock I seen the stripped thread. I'll put a pic up so you can se first hand. Appreciate the help guys.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pic of stripped thread

its on passanger side top mount.

ill have a bit better look in the day light. not sure wether to cut to off at the very rear where the flat plate is or where it flangers up then drill into the remaining peice. (i have some old shackle pins which are the right thickness) and recess it into the remaining peice then weld. (if that made sence).
    open to other opinions. because i really have no idea witch way to go about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    can you leave the shock alone, and use coil spring compressors to crush the coil and get it out? Even trap the coil in the compressors by jacking up the axle and using it to squash the coil?

NOTE: in saying this I have not done it, I do not know if it is safe, and I don't know what it would be like releasing the tension from the spring compressors. Nervous, I suppose, there would be a bit of energy stored up in the system :-)
    spring and shock are already off. im putting new stuff on it. but this has really put a damper on my day.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dan dog View Post
    spring and shock are already off. im putting new stuff on it. but this has really put a damper on my day.
    yeah, just worked that out, I think :-) I had the bull by the tail and thought we were talking about a spindle ended shock rather than the mounting pin for an eye end.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    while looking at it in daylight, is it worth checking to see if it is attached like a wheel stud, ie pressed in from behind?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    while looking at it in daylight, is it worth checking to see if it is attached like a wheel stud, ie pressed in from behind?
    EEK. have to pull fuel tank out to do that. but not a bad idea. ill check the drivers side one cause i think it was clear of the fuel tank. if so probably lot easier to remove tank and knock a new one in than cutting and welding. i'll keep you posted on that one. thanks

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curiosity got the better of me so went had a look. And there welded in. So looks like its back to the drawing board.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a look at that pic, Im thinking it maybe possible cut a hole in the floor pan to gain access with a dye & retap the thread that way. I know cutting the floors not everyone's & it may very well not be yours either, but im thinking of it from a work involved type of aspect & lets face it. a hole in the floor is quite easy to cover & seal up as apposed to the amount of work involved in cutting it out & welding in another one.

Just a thought.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking out side the box. Good one. May well be a option. At the moment can't sleep trying to get my head around how much of a bast@rd of a job its going to be. (Which ever way I go about it).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dan dog For This Useful Post:

patch697 (8th September 2012)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast