Thread: Castor correction; Offset Bearings

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Castor correction; Offset Bearings

Had the old trol given its first wheel alignment since I've had it. the mechanic gave me the readout sheet and pointed out the castor angles. He reckoned that the Nissan, being a Japanese vehicle, had the incorrect castor for Australian roads. He suggested, strongly, I should have offset bearings fitted to the left hand swivel. He reckoned that the outer edge of the left and inner edge of the right tyres would scrub out. is this a fact, luxury or what?
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmmm.... Has your wheel aligner checked out the condition of your current swivel hub bearings? & do they need replacing? or is he simply look for more adjustment???

If caster is the only issue here it can be corrected through the radius arm bushes at a far lower cost then the adjustable swivel hub bearing kit & far less labour intensive to fit as well, the camber however cannot be corrected this way & I think would better explain the issues your wheel aligner has described, this will require the bearing kits to be fitted to gain some control over this aria of adjustment.

The question in my mind is & although I do agree with your wheel aligners comments to some degree, are the tyres scrubbing that bad &/or the Rig handling so poorly it requires such an expensive modification be made? Or can it just be minimized through some caster correction bushes & a tweaked up tow adjustment? We are talking a 4x4 here with very tall sidewalls as apposed to a car for example which tend to make 4x4's a lot more forgiving.

The fact your in getting a wheel alignment tends to suggest your having some sort of issue whether it be tyres or handling & your wheel aligner is advising correctly on one & probable the best method in how to be able to get more adjustment into your front end but it is an expensive mod none the less.
    Last edited by patch697; 31st August 2012 at 03:37 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to patch697 For This Useful Post:

mudnut (31st August 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the wheel alignment was needed after a few fun days driving and the fact that I lightly kissed a tree stump with the aluminium bullbar, just enough to shake the headlight alignment loose and put the wheel alignment out a smidgen. Before that, I had no problems. But also I've not done a lot of Kilometres either, so long term wear hasn't shown up yet.
    Last edited by mudnut; 31st August 2012 at 03:50 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

patch697 (31st August 2012)

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Yeah, the wheel alignment was needed after a few fun days driving and the fact that I lightly kissed a tree stump with the aluminium bullbar, just enough to shake the headlight alignment loose and put the wheel alignment out a smidgen. Before that, I had no problems.
    That must have been some hit mate..... Are you sure you didn't bend anything in the process? its not real easy to knock a Patrols wheel alignment out that much without bending something....

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    That must have been some hit mate..... Are you sure you didn't bend anything in the process? its not real easy to knock a Patrols wheel alignment out that much without bending something....
    Musta taken a leaf from Taslucas' book he alli bars and trees also get on well ;-)

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

patch697 (31st August 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I mean a fun days driving, I mean pine tree roots across ripper sand tracks, and the fact that seat belts were needed to keep our heads from denting the ceiling...

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    Musta taken a leaf from Taslucas' book he alli bars and trees also get on well ;-)

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?
    Does he really try to get along so well with he's country's trees??? Or???...... was it just simply a genuine slip up in a fearful attempt to escape from KRISTOFFA????

We don't all react as well under pressure as you Growlers.....hahahahahahah

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I mean a fun days driving, I mean pine tree roots across ripper sand tracks, and the fact that seat belts were needed to keep our heads from denting the ceiling...
    So you went out & had a BIG day by the sounds....... Well with heavy duty fun can also come a heavy duty cost & as you've come back with with some issues my best advice is to get your Rig checked right out & make 99.9% sure you didn't bend anything & possibly compromised the safety or integrity of your Rig in any way before I'd be spending any money what so ever on a front end alignment.

Remember Dude, safety first!!! both yours & everyone else.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I couldn't see any marks or damage underneath the trol after the fun was had. It was only a little bit toey on the road, just enough for me to notice. The mech had a good squizz as well so I'm guessing the flex in the chassis was tested. XD It did show me that some serious mods are due, to make the trol a bit more bushworthy, but that's all in the future. Cheers.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't see any marks or damage underneath the trol after the fun was had. It was only a little bit toey on the road, just enough for me to notice. The mech had a good squizz as well so I'm guessing the flex in the chassis was tested. XD It did show me that some serious mods are due, to make the trol a bit more bushworthy, but that's all in the future. Cheers.
    Good to hear mate, nothing wrong with going out & having a blast & by the sounds of things you've got your head screwed on the right way when it comes to keeping you & your Rig safe.

Keep us posted on whats needed to get your front end sorted as it can provide good information for others who wind up in a similar situation as yourself & if you have anymore questions or advice ask away as we're all here to help.

Best of luck.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to patch697 For This Useful Post:

mudnut (31st August 2012)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast