Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Castor correction; Offset Bearings

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day mate, i think you might be a little off track. I think your mechanic was talking about Camber Correction and not Caster Correction.

Caster correction is the tilt angle of your diff and is set using bushes in the front of your radius arms. anything less than a 2 inch lift and No caster correction should be needed.

The description that you gave and explanation from your Mechanic is describing Camber correction and can be needed because those Japs dont account for the camber on our roads. This IS neally the Biggest issue faced by Nissan owners. The Bloody Death Wobbles.

He is talking about installing a King Pin offset bearing race on the left side. I did this 4 years ago to my GUIV and reckon it is THE BEST mod i have done to the car! Well that and Drop Boxes. A decent Dyno Tune would come in a very close second though.

Check out this link for all the info you need on this great Modification. A couple of Hundred bucks will see it fitted and consider putting in a new axle seal while your there.

Safetsteer.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Safe-T-Steer View Post
    SafeTSteer is part of the Big Wheels Truck Alignment group. The aim of the business is to provide professional and engineered solutions to the road transport industry for wheel alignment deficiencies at a cost effective price. In today's world vehicles require more exacting steering geometry in order to alleviate early wear and reduce running costs.

We have found that many vehicles are basically set up incorrectly for our Australian road conditions.
    The high road crown used extensively in Australia placed a camber bias into steering geometry that created a ‘pull left’ effect that wore tyres and aided little in the way of driver comfort through constant steering correction and added to fatigue.

With this in mind and through alignment services provided by the Big Wheels workshops, the Company identified a need for exact steering geometry specifications. Over time solutions to satisfy the need were developed by way of innovative engineering, the conduct of extensive Research and Development and the commencement of production and marketing. Now providing the solutions for competent suspension shops to correct these issues.

The courage to undertake such an onerous path may well daunt some but unrestrained by industry convention the Company commenced the long and arduous task of making something completely new from an original concept to recognised world leaders.

The company began developing a series of innovative parts, a range of machinery and equipment that allowed adjustment and correction to steering geometry allowing the vehicle to drive in a straight line. In tandem with the manufacture of these parts a laser based measuring system was developed to accurately measure the castor, camber, toe and thrust measurements of heavy vehicles. By adding the Company’s relevant sized and correctly adjusted part, or by correction means the vehicle is able to literally drive straight and the remaining tyre life is often doubled.

A portable cordless vehicle laser measuring system marketed as the Quad 4 - Laser Four Wheel Aligner was also developed allowing the accurate measurement of steering geometry on small trucks, commercial and 4WD vehicles and passenger cars.

By association with national and international industry bodies the patented parts and equipment developed by the Company found ready and sizeable markets within professional alignment workshops throughout the country and internationally to America, Africa and the Pacific.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 31st August 2012 at 04:36 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mudnut (1st September 2012), my third 256 (1st September 2012), patch697 (31st August 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    Does he really try to get along so well with he's country's trees??? Or???...... was it just simply a genuine slip up in a fearful attempt to escape from KRISTOFFA????

We don't all react as well under pressure as you Growlers.....hahahahahahah
    Where do I start? Fearful of Winnie????? Geez!
    I was actually patrol racing with tasfox (and filming.... And perhaps holding a refreshment.....and going slightly quick........lol)

I smashed the buggery outta my alloy bar and it didn't effect my camber that I can tell. Not saying mudnuts isn't.

I thought the camber of the road was what the mechanic should of said, not the castor??? I've never heard of changing castor of the vehicle to help the camber of the road??

Ps: I'd eat Chris for breakfast the honey loving pooh!!!!
    Dems fightn wordz

Tap, crackle, pop
    Hello from Under Down Under!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

patch697 (31st August 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've probably got the word wrong: another senior moment. I might drive the vehicle for a while and see what develops. That might let me save up to have the work done. I'm glad I haven't experienced the death wobbles in a big vehicle. Experienced them on a race track at about 90 kph during a test run on, setting up the steering geometry on my third racing mower. Had the toe in completely wrong.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

patch697 (1st September 2012)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I've probably got the word wrong: another senior moment. I might drive the vehicle for a while and see what develops. That might let me save up to have the work done. I'm glad I haven't experienced the death wobbles in a big vehicle. Experienced them on a race track at about 90 kph during a test run on, setting up the steering geometry on my third racing mower. Had the toe in completely wrong.
    Its all good mate, we got what you were saying. Did I read "Race Mowers"???..... You are a thrill seeker.... 90kms on a ride on.... insane..................lol

As I said before, keep us posted on what develops Its good info for others to benefit from.
    Last edited by patch697; 1st September 2012 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, and 90ks was a slow test run. I haven't raced mowers for a few years now, but it was fun. The second and third machines I built, had a CB 400 motor, electrics modified to pull serious revs. Never got it beyond 4th gear, and it had 5th and 6th. If your looking for a bit of hair raising fun, give it a go.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "That must have been some hit mate..... Are you sure you didn't bend anything in the process? its not real easy to knock a Patrols wheel alignment out that much without bending something.... "

I agree, the alignment is hard to move - But - balance is easy, esp. if you have bigger tyres. If you are going to use them like that often, then you will scuff the tyres quicker than wear them out. I suggest a balance after "fun" and rotate them when you do oil changes to slow the effects of any allignment issues

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Penrose View Post
    "That must have been some hit mate..... Are you sure you didn't bend anything in the process? its not real easy to knock a Patrols wheel alignment out that much without bending something.... "

I agree, the alignment is hard to move - But - balance is easy, esp. if you have bigger tyres. If you are going to use them like that often, then you will scuff the tyres quicker than wear them out. I suggest a balance after "fun" and rotate them when you do oil changes to slow the effects of any allignment issues
    Thanks, but there's definitely no damage underneath, the aluminum bar only sits up about 8mm higher on one side. That's the beauty of having a soft bull bar. I'd hate to think what would have happened if the stump met solid steel. The trol seems to be sitting on the road quite well after the alignment, so I'll just keep an eye on the tread wear.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gidday, again. It has been a bit of time since the wheel alignment, and the trol is still wandering on the road a smidgen, above 80 to 90 ks. So I'm guessing I'll have to put it up on a hoist and have another look at the steering geometry. Could anyone, please give me advice on where to measure the chassis from, just to make sure I haven't twisted it?
    Last edited by mudnut; 23rd September 2012 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Gidday, again. It has been a bit of time since the wheel alignment, and the trol is still wandering on the road a smidgen, above 80 to 90 ks. So I'm guessing I'll have to put it up on a hoist and have another look at the steering geometry. Could anyone, please give me advice on where to measure the chassis from, just to make sure I haven't twisted it?

If you download the manual from the site I think you will find the measurements and measure points to check everything in there mate. Sorry on my iPhone now so can't do the search.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mudnut (23rd September 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This forum is magic ! I've downloaded the manual and have found the page with the dimensions. Will check the trol first chance I get.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast