Thread: glow plug problems after $1000 spent

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glow plug problems after $1000 spent

hi guys.
    well on the advice of the good brothers here,i bit the bullet and bought 2 new batterys and a brand new alternater as i was having massive voltage problems.
    Now....still an ongoing problem from months ago...........first crank of the day i have to turn the key on and off maybe five times to get the wagon to start (vrgy60),once its warm itll start no worries.My glow lite stays on for half a second each time,nowhere as long as it used to?
    Also noticed my rev counter reading higher than 750rpm on start up?
    Im not too fussed about the tacho,I just want to remedy the glow issue.
    Could the timer be stuffed?
    I also got sick of it blowing shitloads of white smoke in the morning,almost had a heatsoak like issue,it would pop and fart then clear its throat and run ok for the rest of the day.I drained the fuel filter to find maybe a cup of what tasted like antifreeze,it wasnt pure water,and was a slight pink colour....im stumped there?
    any help would me appreciated as im a poor bugger and its the only family vehicle.
    Thanks guys
    Jason
    if it aint hurting,it aint working.....1991 y60 LWB 24 volt TD42 Safari

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Jason

You need to check that the glow plugs are getting power. When cold connect a voltmeter or test light to one of the glow plug.

Check that it is getting power and for how long it stays there compared to the glow plug warning light staying on.

Next thing you will need to test is each glow plug, to do this you will need to remove the metal bar that connects all the glow plugs and check each plug for continuity (resistance) if any of the glow plug are open circuit they will need to be replaced before we can perform additional tests.

Cheers Rodney

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks rodney,ill be doing that today.
    Very much appreciated

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok Rod,ive taken the busbar plate off the injectors and tested between the inj's and the head bolt for resistance.Im not too savvy with a multimeter and what range to set the dial at,its set at 2000k ohms.... it reads around 1600 -1800 on each injector,thats with the wagon cold and the lead to the busbar disconnected....
    What next bud?

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I assume you mean glow plugs.

Did you check if they are getting power and for how long?, compared with how long the glow plug warning light stays on?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again Rodney
    Ok,the plugs are getting power for the same amount of time the dash light is on,the longer i leave the key in the off position,then when i turn the key to on,the longer the light stays on for........i hear the glow relay click on and off for the same amount of time also

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depending on engine temperature you should be getting power at the glow plugs for 3-14 seconds.

It sound like you have a problem with the timer circuit, this could be a problem with the control unit, engine temperature sender or a wiring fault.

Double check all the fuse in the fuse box inside the vehicle, then check the connection at the engine temperature sender.

Or you can put a manual push button switch in the dash if you prefer.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you had water inside the vehicle? up over the pedals?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when its dead cold it gets power for about 2 to 2 and a half seconds and thats it.
    I checked the temp sender plug and it seems to have a good connection,i also took it out to check for corrosion,its clean as a whistle.
    If the switch is an easy option,ill give that a go Rodney.
    I also double checked the glow rail was getting power,its getting over 12volts,so i assume thats a good thing,but it stays on longer than the glow light,and the relay i hear under the panel,I had the wife turn the key while i took a reading off the bar while key was in ON position.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijase View Post
    when its dead cold it gets power for about 2 to 2 and a half seconds and thats it.
    I checked the temp sender plug and it seems to have a good connection,i also took it out to check for corrosion,its clean as a whistle.
    If the switch is an easy option,ill give that a go Rodney.
    I also double checked the glow rail was getting power,its getting over 12volts,so i assume thats a good thing,but it stays on longer than the glow light,and the relay i hear under the panel,I had the wife turn the key while i took a reading off the bar while key was in ON position.
    Where did you have the earth lead of your voltmeter connect to? try connecting it to the engine block.

Isn't your vehicle 24 volts?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast