0 Thread(s)
    [IMG][/IMG]
    if it aint hurting,it aint working.....1991 y60 LWB 24 volt TD42 Safari

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive never had it wet since ive owned it,now 2yrs,but i did buy it off a indian guy that seemed a bit cagey here and there.
    should i whip the thing open and check contacts and such?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok,i pulled the it out and opened it,there was a little bit of oxidization on one of the two little black processors (i think thats what they are?)
    I cleaned it best i could with a small screwy and biffed it back in,the tacho still reads 2500 and rising on idle,i noticed when the key is on and the engine is not running the tacho needle jumps and sits just off the resting pin it sits on when not running,if that makes any sense.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    forgot to mention,its an intermittant problem,sometimes it does it on startup,then i notice when drivint its back to normal.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok looking at the controller it appears to be like the earlier td42 one just 24 volt.
    The double glow relay is a bit confusing can you take off the air box or get the camera in and take a shot of the rest of the glow plugs and how they connect up.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they all connect up the same way from what i saw when i removed the bar yesterday
    [IMG][/IMG]

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijase View Post
    Ok,here we go.
    I turned the key on,ignoring the length of time the lite stayed on,and went and tested voltage at the glowplugs and it was reading around 5vlts,with the earth probe on the battery.That took about 10 seconds,then i went to start the truk and it went with no hesitation at all,so im wondering what the go is there?
    I almost cut the green/black,but there is only 2inches of it exposed between relay and another plug,and i can barely get my hands in there to insulate with tape?
    So what does that green/black wire do guys?
    That 5 volts is good, that means that stage 2 of the glow plugs is now working.

You may of had a bad connection at the temp. sender or one of the relays, double check terminals for corrosion and clean if necessary.

Then I would try another cold start with the voltmeter connected to the glow plugs and placed so you can see it when sitting in the vehicle.

The glow plug warning light in the dash does not reflect the whole time the glow plugs are on. This is what should happen

1. Turn the ignition on, glow plug warning light will come on for 2-6 seconds (depends on engine temperature).

2. Your voltmeter should show 12 volts for up to 15 seconds, even if the warning light is off in the dash.

3. After 15 seconds stage 2 should kick in, your voltmeter should be reading around 5-6 volts.

4. If you start the vehicle the voltmeter should keep reading 5-6 volts for a period of time or until engine reaches a certain temp.

I see the ECU is 24 volts, I guessing that someone at some stage has fitted 12 volt glow plugs.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi rodney.
    Ok,i done as you said,and the strange thing is,I used the neg probe on a few earth points,and the readings were crazy.I earthed off the batt and got 5vlts or so,then earthed on the intake manifold and got 17v,then earthed it to the block again and got the same,17vlts?
    I also let it run for 10mins and the voltage didnt chage at all,stayed at 17v?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is either something strange going on with your vehicles electrics or your multimeter.

I think you may need to take it to someone who can look at it for you, if you still have cold start issues.

I downloaded the Russian workshop manual from this forum and it has the closest matching wiring diagram that I can find to what you have told me about your vehicle.

I can't understand a written word but the pictures look good. I guess I can't say I got it for the articles then lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast