Thread: Overheating 2010 GU Patrol

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overheating 2010 GU Patrol

I have a 2010 GU manual 3.0 litre Patrol cab chassis turbo, fitted with a tray and now carrying a canopy. Purchased new in 2010. It has done 70,000 kms and still under warranty. At 35,000 kms, the turbo failed and was replaced under warranty. I have driving lights installed, no winch and have had no problems with the unit.
    A couple of weeks ago, I went to tow a trailer load (total weight about 2 tons) and the engine overheated going up a hill. Waited until it cooled, offloaded the trailer load and came home. Took it to the local Nissan dealer (the next day - it didn't overheat during the 60 km journey) and their diagnosis was a new viscous coupling on the fan. Installed at the end of the week and they pronounced it fixed. Came home, loaded up the trailer again, and voila! She overheats again. Road service picked up the vehicle and took it back to the dealer. They "said" they replaced the thermostat and that the Patrol was "fixed". Drove home and it overheats going up a hill (no load.
    Took it back to the dealer. They said they couldn't replicate the problem in the workshop. They said they have flushed the block and the radiator, replaced the thermostat again, but when they take the vehicle for a test drive, it boils again. And I do mean boil - smoke, steam, the whole bit.
    Nissan Australia now want to remove the driving lights "to bring the vehicle back to standard and to aid airflow". The lights have been on it since a week after I bought it in April 2010.
    I think there is something more wrong with it than the radiator and the airflow.
    Anyone got any ideas????

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Driving lights will restrict air flow, but not as to bring your 4x4 to the boil. Are you blowing heaps of black smoke??
    Maybe your CAT is blocked give it a few taps with a hammer , Thermo fan working???
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it doesn't blow any smoke at all. Its a diesel, by the way! Its still in the hands of the mechanics at the Nissan dealership. I assume the thermo fan is working (they're the mechanics!!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It won't be the driving lights, as then every Patrol in Australia would overheat......

Do you have a chip on it?

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, aside from driving lights and a nice tray set-up, she's factory standard.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Water in oil?? If it boils at 100Ks you have a big problem as you don't need any sort of fan at that speed.
    Collapsed hose ?Only heard of the petrols needing bigger radiators for towing duties, Must be one one the sensors is playing up????
    Did it show up any faults or errors????
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is a joke right? Nissan fitted driving lights to 80% of new patrols out of the showroom as a free upgrade. Not A Chance! !

There is something way bigger wrong with your car. Unfortunately it's in the hands of idiots who want to find blame in you, the customer, so they don't own your trouble. They own your trouble mate! Make them work harder to solve the problem.

Ask for a compression test and check your MAF to start and don't let go of your bone mate! Thy own it!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Threedogs, I'm not sure what's going on with it. No water in the oil, apparently. The "mechanics" at the dealership say they've tried everything (I assume they've tested the sensors). They say they've flushed the radiator and got a bit of gunk out of the head, but they "say" they've tested the head, and when I suggested the turbo or a cracked head, they poopaahed that idea.
    This has been going on for a while (going into the 3rd week tomorrow), and frankly, I'm getting a bit jack of the tippytoing around. I think I'm possibly looking at a blown gasket, or worse, but then I'm no mechanic. I just can't understand why this has happened 70,000 kms into the life of the vehicle. It was going fine before then, aside from the failed turbo.
    The dealership seems to limit themselves to things that are not going to cost Nissan a lot to fix (remember, its still under warranty).

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Mudrunner!!! You are a man after my own heart!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Goat,

On a side note mate I'd really appreciate it if you could jump over to the introduction section and post up an intro thread. We ask all new members to post an intro before asking for advice.

Good luck with your car mate.

Cheers and welcome to the forum.

MR
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast