OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GU 3ltr owners, ECM relay issues?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU 3ltr owners, ECM relay issues?

G'day guys,

Thought i better post this up for some of the ZD30 owners out there, might be worth doing for a peace of mind thing

As a Auto-Elec in VIC, over the last few months i have had quite a number of 3ltr GU patrols coming with with starting issues (cranking but not firing) and of shutting down when driving. There is also no engine light coming onto the dash when this occurs. I have noticed that this seems to be of the 2000-2004 GU patrols.
    Almost all of these have been diagnosed back to a faulty ECM relay (above the interior fuse panal, brown relay). After speaking to Local Nissan dealership and also a few others in Vic they are all saying they are seeing a same trend and that its a "common problem". This is the first i have been hearing about this issue?

Thought it might be something worth reading for 3ltr owners out there. After hearing this i have changed mine just for peace of mind as my GU has done 190,000km's. Has anyone else heard of this problem or experianced it?

Cheers, Fletcha

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to big_fletch For This Useful Post:

AB (26th October 2010), Atsic (18th June 2013), Dman2603 (12th June 2015), Lemo79 (2nd July 2013), meh (25th August 2013), mudski (22nd June 2013), threedogs (18th June 2013), YNOT (29th October 2010)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,757 Times in 8,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for heads up Fletcha!

I recently sold my 3ltr and never had this issue (didnt have it for long though) but I'm sure this will help people out mate!

Cheers!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries gotta helpout where i can. And yer well for the price of a relay its pretty cheap insurance when you think about it

Fletcha

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks alot for the info dose any body have a picture of what that relay looks like for those who own zd3.0 or are looking for one like me. much appreciated, arinol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a 2nd hand 2007 3.0L 18 months ago. Had a number of instances when it would refuse to switch the glow relay on, on extremely cold mornings which I put down to an old battery not holding full charge on cold nights. It would eventually switch on glow (listening for the relay click) after a few turns of the key, so i replaced the battery. Also a few times it did die within a couple of hundred meters from home until it got to opperating temp. A couple of days ago it completely refused to glow no matter what. First thing to check was the glow relay which turned out to be fine.... damn. I did a heap of searching on the net and after testing a miriad of things was dissapointingly convinced that the culprit was the ECM. Late last night I came upon this thread and this morning I decided to check the ECM Relay. Unplugged it and plugged it back in and she glows and starts like a champion. Going to my nearest dealer to get a new relay now... YAY....
    Cheers and Beers big_fletch for saving the day and heaps of unessesary cash layout.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi Fletch do you know a part no or do I just ask for a ECM relay???
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the guy I spoke to at the "Parts" section @ Nissan, there is no "ECM Relay" listed for my model GU, but the part No. is 2523079981 and it's blue in colour on mine.
    Directly above the Fuse Panel are 4x blue relays.... the "Top Right" relay is the offending one. You have to remove the lower dash cover around steering to get to them.
    Cost $149 for someting that's 50 cents to manufacture.......

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atsic View Post
    According to the guy I spoke to at the "Parts" section @ Nissan, there is no "ECM Relay" listed for my model GU, but the part No. is 2523079981 and it's blue in colour on mine.
    Directly above the Fuse Panel are 4x blue relays.... the "Top Right" relay is the offending one. You have to remove the lower dash cover around steering to get to them.
    Cost $149 for someting that's 50 cents to manufacture.......
    Unless they change in later models, Nissan Part numbers usually have a letter after the fifth number. Got me thinking now. Might have to open up NissFast and have a look.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Atsic . have you tested the relay with a multimeter , if it tests up properly it might just have been slightly corroded relay terminals ( sometimes caused by bad earths or dodgy batteries ) could be good info to know if you can check it out .
    ray.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. May not apply to ours, but it's info like that that makes forums.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16293&dateline=137569  2513
    2006 GU IV ST 3.0L TD Di
    Autron Boost and EGT, Dual Bat, Dawes & Needle Valves, ARB Alloy rack, more to come.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast