Thread: Old man emu vs tough dog vs tjm golds

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Old man emu vs tough dog vs tjm golds

Hi all just looking for some feed back on these 3 suspensions for 3l patrol ute coils all round looking at the 2" lift. Just wondering your experiences with them and ups and downs bout each one and even other brands. Would be really appreciated and helpful as I'm looking at a lift in the next few weeks. Thanks
    Last edited by Patrol94; 21st August 2012 at 08:08 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    DX and the other ute/pod guys will sort you out
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would good just not sure on what would be best

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Everyone else is still trying to catchup to the industry Bench Mark!!

OME every day of the week mate. Hands down Winner.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah They would be my preferred choice right now as they have a ag quip special for $900 for front and rear shocks and springs but only got until Thursday hope they still have the stock in by then. Cheers for the advice

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you thought about what you want from the springs apart from a lift?

The main choice I can think of is load carrying - v - comfort and articulation (wheel travel up and droop down). If the springs are made stiff to resist being squished under load, then they will also do the same when out playing, unladen. Heavier springs will tend to hold the diff the same distance from the chassis more than softer springs.

With stiff heavy duty springs, if one rear wheel is on a hump, the body will rise more than with softer springs, meaning that the dangling wheel at the other end has further to droop down to get in contact with the ground and help push :-).

Since you have a ute, you may have leaves at the back, not coils, or even leaves all round? If so, the leaves will also not allow the axle to droop down as much with stiff load carrying springs than softer ones.

With coils, the dangling end of the axle's droop is controlled by the sway bar, if any, and the length of the shock. Nothing holds the the top of a coil to the chassis, nor the bottom to the diff. Not in the usual set up, anyway. The length of the shock is enough to keep the spring trapped between the mounting plates. There are other options for big flexi lifts to keep the coils under the vehicle, but I have only read about them.

So, how do we maintain some comfort, and hopefully some more articulation, while still having springs that will carry a heavier load, assuming that is required? Well, with coils, they make progressive coils that have a short squishy bit that is meant to work under light loads, and kinda fold out of the way under heavy loads, when the rest of the spring, being more heavily constructed, does its bit to hold the load.

Another solution is to fit airbags - Firestone or Polyair - blue -v-red - can be inflated when vehicle is loaded -v- cannot be inflated when vehicle is loaded. These usually go inside the coil, and can be pumped up to various pressures. I have firestones from the airbag man, and the instructions say minimum 5 psi even when unladen - so that reduces the up movement of the axle as well. For leaves they go between the top leaf and the chassis.

With leaves there are options like helper springs and springs stacked so that there are a couple of light bendy ones that work while the vehicle is unladen, that flatten out against a pack of heavier ones that resist a load.

Hope this makes sense and anyone with more info please feel free to add/correct.

Silver is an Mav wagon coils all round. standard height. Came with OME comfort springs and shocks. Well mannered on road. Comfortable. Being a supple spring, articulation is greater than a load carrying set, be it OME or someone else's. As I said I fitted airbags for when we load up a bit on a trip.

I have just bought some second hand TJM EXT golds or something like that, to get some lift. It turns out that the rears are extra heavy duty. I hope that I don't pay too much a price for this in terms of articulation - time will tell. If they are too heavy, someone into touring with rear drawers and a camper trailer will hopefully take them off my hands for the same small price I paid for them :-)

Rick
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rick, there are lots of threads and posts on the web advising against polyairs if carrying heavy loads, unless you strengthen the rear spring towers. The polyairs act like a brick inside the spring and cause massive bump shock through to the tower mounts and they eventually fatigue and give way.

It makes it difficult as every different way that you go is a trade off and have there plusses and minuses.

For me I have always used Koni shocks and have always had a great run from them. Haven't used the others but normally hear good reports about OME, mixed from Tough Dogs ( some great, some not so great ), and not much about TJM.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick really made me have a think about what loads I will be carrying I am personally looking for more of a comfort ride as I do use it every day and it willw not often be highly loaded and the ute is coils all round so I did not expect much load carrying ability.

And like mic I have read some bad things about airbags but also some positives and if I ever choose to go that way I will look at reinforforcing my coil towers as I am a boily I'm sure thers someway of doing it as I know superior do a tower strengthener and thanks for the advice really appreciated.

Chris.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey mate I would also go OME my experience with TD and OME they are both good bits of gear but the OME far out lasts the TD

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks fellas for the follow up on the heavy loads, airbags and spring towers - I have read it as well. But nothing specific in relation to air bags, and after I fitted mine. More along the lines of heavy duty suspension and big loads combined with corrugations Thanks for the info.

In my case it has been about not having to adjust head lights and spots for night runs on the bitumen to visit rellos down South. Usually just the min air pressure, or a couple of psi more are enough to keep things sweet with Silver and other drivers :-), so hopefully not doing too much damage, and the light air pressure allows at least some movement in the bag

Mr,Mrs/Ms Nissan designed it all as a package, and once parts are upgraded stresses are sent elsewhere. The bottom line is to take less stuff, I guess, if anywhere near the limits.

Upgrade the springs and shocks, then the towers, then the chassis works a bit harder.....there is presumably scope for clever people to increase the overall load carrying capacity without adding an axle.

Thanks again for the info
    Last edited by Silver; 22nd August 2012 at 09:36 AM.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast