OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving a 89 GQ compared to other 4X4's

ckh

Driving a 89 GQ compared to other 4X4's

My first 4x4 20 years ago was a short WB landcruiser, then I had subaru's, then a Mitusbishi l200 ute, then a lada niva then a L300 van, then a mid 90's model hilux, then a mid 90's top of the line V8 Discovery, then when that got T-boned had to get another car in a hurry and picked up a 95 V6 Vitara, all these cars where different to drive, some handled more like cars than trucks. Then I had to retire the Suzuki a couple of weeks ago before it completely died and got an 89 GQ patrol, its got a couple of issues which I hope isnt pointing at having got a lemon, but all my mates say I got a good car, but its hard to get a feel for it, havent been off road yet, but my wife loved driving the Discovery, and hates driving this one. I know it must have something going in its favor as there are so many GQ's around and the fact there are forums specifically for them.

I dont know if its the problems I had with it todate or what, but I just cant get a feel for it, appart from contempt when I have to fill it up as often as I do, get about 16-20L/100 K's around town.
    have done under 3000K's in it so far, most of them taking it to palaces to have problems fixed...
    Is it just something I need to get used to?
    Last edited by ckh; 23rd October 2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: addition

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick with it once you have it sorted you can rely on them obviously someone had let the maintenance go and traded it in.
    But if you read through the posts on this forum you will find a lot of useful handy posts on general issues.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckh View Post
    Is it just something I need to get used to?
    Well it depends if it feels the way it should and you can't get used to it, or if there is something wrong with the steering or suspension to make it drive crap but you don't know any better. Is it the handling that is different? Gear changes? Acceleration and braking? Might need to compare it against someone else's patrol (from the forum perhaps) and see what is different. An idea is to book it into your local reputable suspension place for a good look over and they might shed some light on an issue or two which could solve the problem you may not know you have

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate a GQ is a tuff as nails near on ballistic missle proof hard core 4wd, not necessarily built for comfort. Definately a pommy soft roader disco will be nicer to drive on the road. Yup the seats are sh@t and road noise mmmmm i find it music to the ears hahahahhahhaha. i put commodore seats in mine and that made a heap of difference. But ya GQ will take you further offroad than all the "4wd's" you mentioned above.

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an 89 wagon witha few mods and it drives very different from the gq ute and other gq wagon i had. depends how you want it to drive. They are gettin old and most have done well over 300 000k's so things will start to wear out, but they are still the tuffest 4x4 ever. Depends where your driving and how you like it to feel. Stepping from a vitara to a gq is a big step, but i love them because they are built tough and are reliable. What sort of problems have you been having?
    If you going through hell...Keep going

GQ wagon locked - lifted - 33's, 02 SS ute, XB coupe 460bb, KTM530

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate get it sorted and you will love ur gq. Mine has heaps of quirks and gets overtaken by trucks but i love every second driving it

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should of got a GU.

Publicly speaking to a private audience.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

ckh
    I've been told by many that the GQ's have a far stronger chasis than the GQ's...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an 89 and it actually has a nice ride. When the suspension bushings are shot though, the ride will deteriorate badly. Also old shocks would affect the ride as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Never driven one,but here's my take on it.
    Very hard to build a 4x4 to have great road manners and be very capable off road as well.
    Landrover came close but look at the technology and the cost thats gone into one,
    If it costs alot to buy originally, chances are it'll cost a motsa down the track to repair.
    The GQ was state of the art when released ,way back when, not much has changed,
    and theres a reason for that, IT WORKS, on road may take a little getting used to.
    It's off road where it will shine, even 30 yrs later you'll run rings around more modern 4x4s
    wait till you sort it out, take it bush and start another thread ,?????????GQ's are awesome off road
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast