OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lemon or not

ckh

Lemon or not

Bought an 89 GQ about 2 weeks ago now as mu Suzuki Vitara dies, or at least was close to death, got 2 K for it as a trade on this GQ wagon, which had the price on the windscreen of 8990... So straight off 7K out of pocket.

Day 2 took it back under its 1K warranty as engine was missing driving down highway.. They fixed turned out to be points.

Day 4 driver’s side front brake line burst they fixed, day 7 other front brake line burst. They fixed also,

From day 2 I noticed at different speeds and if there was a bend in the highway the steering or the front end would shake like hell.. They said this was a Nissan problem.. Called several different places who one wanted to bite me 200 just to diagnose the problem... Found a guy at tyrepower Rocklea who said he had fixed hundreds of Nissans, and even Nissan bought cars to him to fix. He had it for the better part of the day and only cost $250, I don’t know if it’s my imagination of not but there is still a slight shaking. Shudder in the car, have called him back he said it could be drive train or a number of other things but he said he was happy with the before and after, the only faults he could find was one bush had a slight crack in it, which he said I could get another 6-12 months out of. He did say the front end was sitting an inch lower than stock, and I have noticed the rear end sitting lower than my mates GQ.

There is no rust except for a small minor patch on bottom of one of the rear windows... no sight the car has ever been off road, the bodywork is like it came off the showroom floor, think previous owners only ever used it for towing, it’s got 210000 on the clock and inside the car looks like new. The guy at tyrepower said to fix the sagging rear and front end he would put a 50mm suspension lift in it fitted for 1350.
    under the bonnet looks like a new car also, apart from the problems I had with the windscreen washer leak, which I fixed by pulling out a pump from my son's old ford, which fixed that. Just paid 275 for window tinting.

Have FOUND ONE OF THE SOLENOID connectors broken off for the rear diff lock, and the hose was plugged up with a screw, have tried fixing that.

All my mates are telling me I got a good truck, but after seeing prices for same model or even newer cars on the net, I'm wondering if I not only paid too much but have bought a lemon. I know its 23 years old, I dont expect it to be in as new condition, but can some one on here since this is all about Nissan patrols, have I thrown my money away...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Assuming that it is a TB42 (Petrol) engine? or even an RB30 Petrol? 7K for the condition sounds OK especially if you got a good coin for your junker.

What exactly did he do to your front end?

The continued wobble could well and truly be the tyres that have been running bad for so long and now are worn slightly with a lump.

It sounds like a tidy car.

If it has stock suspension then you should be expecting to put a kit through it by now but......... Does the current factory suspension pass a RWC? If it does not then your dealer is up for the fix! If your concerned go somewhere else and ask them to give you a Road Worthy on the car, dont tell them you just bought it but are looking to sell it. If it does not pass the Road Worthy then that is that and the dealer must make it Road Worthy to standard by law. Well actually the guy who gave the dealer the Roady is up for it but they are likely in bed together anyway but stuff them. Get it checked elsewhere and make them accountable. They are then arguing with a licensed tester!

Dont be in a hurry to get the Tyre Power Lift kit mate! That is why you joined this forum. Research is very important when looking to do your lift. Your New so educate yourself here before jumping in unless you need the lift now in which case your back to the RWC question????

Hope that helps.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Stevieone (29th August 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Slight crack in the bush would fail the Road Worth check to start with!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

ckh
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Assuming that it is a TB42 (Petrol) engine? or even an RB30 Petrol? 7K for the condition sounds OK especially if you got a good coin for your junker.

What exactly did he do to your front end?

The continued wobble could well and truly be the tyres that have been running bad for so long and now are worn slightly with a lump.

It sounds like a tidy car.

If it has stock suspension then you should be expecting to put a kit through it by now but......... Does the current factory suspension pass a RWC? If it does not then your dealer is up for the fix! If your concerned go somewhere else and ask them to give you a Road Worthy on the car, dont tell them you just bought it but are looking to sell it. If it does not pass the Road Worthy then that is that and the dealer must make it Road Worthy to standard by law. Well actually the guy who gave the dealer the Roady is up for it but they are likely in bed together anyway but stuff them. Get it checked elsewhere and make them accountable. They are then arguing with a licensed tester!

Dont be in a hurry to get the Tyre Power Lift kit mate! That is why you joined this forum. Research is very important when looking to do your lift. Your New so educate yourself here before jumping in unless you need the lift now in which case your back to the RWC question????

Hope that helps.
    he wont tell anyone what he does to dix the wobble, he said after doing it for 20+ years its a trade secret he's keeping... I doesnt have stock shocks it has monroe on , front settering dapener is aftermarket too I got a copy of the roadworthy with the paperwork with the car, the fact they fixed the second brakine blow out a few hundred k's past their 100K warranty, I cant complain too much..

ckh
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    The Slight crack in the bush would fail the Road Worth check to start with!!
    Reading the quote the tyre power guy gave me, its in one of the offset caster bushes..
    new set 396 fitted...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckh View Post
    Reading the quote the tyre power guy gave me, its in one of the offset caster bushes..
    new set 396 fitted...
    But you don't have a lift so should not have faster correction bushes?? The mechanic claiming trade secret is a w4nker! He may have done a king pin offset like a safe-t-steer bearing race.

If your radius arm bush is cracked fit nothing but factory rubber ones and demand that be done by the RWC bloke.

Where are you?

If your keen on a lift regardless take it to someone that does 4x4 stuff as they generally know what is what

ckh
    just called tyre power and the guy said the one caster bush with a 1 cm tear in it would not have been picked up by someone doing a road worthy with out muching around with the front supension like he did to fix the wobble, he said the other caster bushes have "wear" cracks they arnt actually broken or torn so would pass roardworthy, just was hoping he's agree with what you said theat it shouldnt have passed a roadworthy, but he said he cant prove that the tear didnt happen until after the roardworthy was done, on a different note am almost scared to go back to the car yard as when they find out every thing that was wrong with the suzuki, they will probably be writing it off.. and if I were to threaten to take them to court over this tear issue the tyerpower guy said it could back fire on me that I had been driving my suzuki around unroadworthy...

ckh
    This is what she looked like when I first got her.........

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah mate the RWC is current for at least 30 days regardless and your entitled to go back

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That looks like it is sitting ok mate

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast