OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: opinions on my tray design

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the old one :-) The one with the 'its only cosmetic' improvements from big rocks underneath. And that artfully arranged crooked plank - I hope it can be carried across to the new model????? ;-)

Looks very classy, and good to get the storage and thus the weight down low - nice work. Design in accessory lighting and other electrics down the track?
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks good Ben, when does the build start mate? You have 37 days to the Meetup! Perfect!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How will you waterproof those storage bins in front and behind the wheel arches?? Or is that for pictorial purpose only and they'll have side mounted door access??

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    Awesome pics ben . like it alot . my suggestion - build a rear roll bar / rack bar at the rear thats removeable just in case you need to cart around a ladder or something long .
    yeah that would work. It would be also good for throwing a tarp over when camping

Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Love it whenever I see someone doing something outside the square, great design Ben, any slimline LED will fit on the rear, maybe recessed[waterproof]
    Don't forget brackets for hi-lift etc, Do compatments have lockable lids.
    I likey a lot
    they will be lockable in time I need to see what kind of locks are out there. they will need to be flat so I dont have to sleep on them, as for the hi-lift I was actually thinking of mounting it of the sliders between the cab and the tray,

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    I like the old one :-) The one with the 'its only cosmetic' improvements from big rocks underneath. And that artfully arranged crooked plank - I hope it can be carried across to the new model????? ;-)

Looks very classy, and good to get the storage and thus the weight down low - nice work. Design in accessory lighting and other electrics down the track?
    hahaha it is one of a kind isnt it. the planks arn't crooked now there is just a hole lol. the tray has had a few more hits since you saw it last. I need a hammer and a crank strap just to put the tail gate on lmao

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Looks good Ben, when does the build start mate? You have 37 days to the Meetup! Perfect!
    not for a while mate I only have 11 days at home until the meet, next R&R is the clutch and the one after that is the injector pump and more boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    How will you waterproof those storage bins in front and behind the wheel arches?? Or is that for pictorial purpose only and they'll have side mounted door access??
    so far its pictorial, there will be a tray side there but for now its just a bin so far
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It looks the goods mate. I know its pictorial but what looks like a fire extinguisher could possibly be in an easier to get to location. What material are you using to make the tray? If braced correctly and well thought out there is no reason why you cant run a roll bar style setup using the existing tray mounts. If you intend on have all that gear in there all the time it might pay to make it out of aluminium then have a clamp style rops like you are talking. I also would like to mount my batteries in the void space under the front of the tray. There is heaps of unused room on the ole utes that we can utilise. I have also thought of like a draw style setup for the batteries so getting to them is simple and easy if replacement is required. Keep us updated. I have a mandrel bender to with 2" dies if you need a hand at all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Ben-e-boy (26th August 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As suggested out there, why not have side access to the storage bins?Keeps the top nice and flat, and X2 with Newby heaps of wasted space underneath.
    Like that pull out battery tray idea. You can buy flush stainless locks ,but they take up some space. Not that you'll need it but once made a quick release
    Hi lift bracket for a comp truck down here. Also if you strengthen up that rear chassis cross member, you'll be able to fit a Pintle hook or similar.
    just throwing ideas out there for you, called net working
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

9. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Ben-e-boy (26th August 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the look Ben, but not a fan of storage with top access. Having to unload the back so I can get to anything is a bit annoying. Maybe a tilt up floor on gas struts or hydraulic power pack would be the go. You know, like a camper trailer. Then again, it all adds weight. Are you going steel or ally?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Looks like weight may be an issue as suggested a few times,so;
    what about rhs sq tube frame, underneath can be gal sheet [cant see it] and alloy cheker plate for the bling top and sides
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    It looks the goods mate. I know its pictorial but what looks like a fire extinguisher could possibly be in an easier to get to location. What material are you using to make the tray? If braced correctly and well thought out there is no reason why you cant run a roll bar style setup using the existing tray mounts. If you intend on have all that gear in there all the time it might pay to make it out of aluminium then have a clamp style rops like you are talking. I also would like to mount my batteries in the void space under the front of the tray. There is heaps of unused room on the ole utes that we can utilise. I have also thought of like a draw style setup for the batteries so getting to them is simple and easy if replacement is required. Keep us updated. I have a mandrel bender to with 2" dies if you need a hand at all.

the fire extinguisher thing is the boss air compiessor I have lol. next to it is the tank, then the batteries in front of that. I'm still deciding what to make it out of yet. I have a few ideas on the mounts and bracing for the tray of the factory mounts

Cheers
    Benny
    Last edited by Ben-e-boy; 27th August 2012 at 07:36 AM.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    As suggested out there, why not have side access to the storage bins?Keeps the top nice and flat, and X2 with Newby heaps of wasted space underneath.
    Like that pull out battery tray idea. You can buy flush stainless locks ,but they take up some space. Not that you'll need it but once made a quick release
    Hi lift bracket for a comp truck down here. Also if you strengthen up that rear chassis cross member, you'll be able to fit a Pintle hook or similar.
    just throwing ideas out there for you, called net working
    I have been thinking that I might modify the old tray side as access atm the tray will cop a beating as my current one does now, its quite bent.
    Ive been thinking that the wheel arches are a bit exagerated.I wont be able to get the tray down far enough as I have a 130l fuel tank on their already, i plan to put it on the new tray and it needs to clear the tail shaft.

cheers
    Benny
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast