Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sudden loss of power

Hi
    I have a 2002 3.0 litre diesel patrol around 300,000km. Since using a set of jump leads to jump start someones car the following has occured. Engine sounds fine and always starts fine, but intermittently when I put my foot down to pull away the engine just continues to idle, it's as if the throttle pedel isn't linked to anything. The engine management light also comes on. If I turn the ignition off then restart the engine theres power and I can pull away as if nothing is wrong and the engine management light is not illuminated anymore. Then the problem will occur again sometimes more regularly than others. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

a member of the menagerie MC97GQ's Avatar
    Nimmitabel in the deep, deep south of NSW
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ian,

When you jump started the other car did you use jumper leads with a spike guard on them. The spike guard prevents nasty voltage fritzing your on board engine management system.

Only thing I could suggest is - disconnect your battery for a while and see if everything resets OK.

Also mate pop up to the intro thread and tell us a bit about yourself, it's something the mods here like to see happen before posting too many questions.

Good luck with it

Mark
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard, great bunch of people here and plenty of info as well Enjoy
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intros are the best way to get into the good books of people here but sounds like a throttle position sensor is gone buy. The voltage spikes
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you connect the earth lead on your car to the body or engine? If so you may have arced the earth and given a dodgy connection. i would remove both batt connections clean them up at battery and where the earth connects to the manifold/ body , wait 20min and reconnect, with fingers crossed.
    2004 GU ST 3.0 DDi 2" Tuff Dog Lift, Warn 9000lb, Custom dual Batteries Redarc, Safari Chip + Snorkel, 3" exhaust, NADS, MBC, DIY can, PWR Int,+9" fan, 7" GPS-DVD-TV Igo8 and Ozi with 2cams,6.5" Kicker splits and 6x9", Pillar+ Racetech EGT-PSI, Heated seats, fixed compressor, Arduino dual battery and engine/OAT temp display, 3" Projected 50W HID's with halo DRL's........so far.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can connect jump leads without a spike protector to any car.
    Pos dead battery, pos good battery, neg good battery, neg to a suitable earth on car with flat battery.
    If you disconnect any lead while engine is running you will create a high voltage spike that will find an earth, generally in some expensive item. Voltage is electrical pressure. If it's flowing and you break the circuit, the pressure increases & breaks stuff. Much like blocking a hose suddenly & having the end fly off.
    Always let vehicles run for a while when connected, maybe 5-10 mins, then try & start flat car if you can.
    TURN BOTH CARS OFF before you disconnect leads in exactly the opposite order as you put them on.
    06 GU IV Nissan Patrol wagon 3.0L, Tough Dog 2" lift, Xrox bar, 12k Mako winch, 33" muddies, 3" exhaust, Awning, UHF, drawers & fridge, custom sliders, DVDs, custom water tank and pump, rack etc etc.
    Now just in - GQ Shorty 4.2 petrol, UHF - but looking at turbo or V8 conversion