Thread: 351 clevo into GQ wagon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

351 clevo into GQ wagon

Hi All,
    As title states, I am thinking about putting my worked 351 clevo into my GQ wagon, already have motor set-up with straight LPG in my TE Cortina drag car, but not using it enough to have it sitting around all year. As my TB-42 has developed major head problems, just thinking about putting 351 clevo in. Tried search, but didnt come up with anything helpfull. So anybody that has done this conversion, any pictures, tips, rough costing or any advice would be great. And NO not interested in putting a CHEV or HOLDEN V8 in.
    With Thanks Jeff.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    HI you'll find most use the chev for the conversion as the dizzy is at the back of the motor'
    brother in law put a 302 into a 4x4 ute but the offset heads were a pain in the butt.
    I ran a 350 in last 4x4, cost wise its pretty cheap. Marks have everything you need ,plus back up.
    ever thought about putting a larger diesel engine in other than the 351 in your shed.
    If possible think of something tha hasn't been done.
    Mates old man put a 202 into a hillman hunter, that scared a few off the lights
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Great video, but really depends on what he wants to do with the 4by. Weekender or outback tourer.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I havent done one myself but it has been done a few times. The good thing about a patrol is there is heaps of room in the engine bay. Blokes have been known to put 582's and 6.5 chevs in em so im sure your 351 will have no issues fitting. Try talking to places like marks adaptors and dellow for adaptor housing etc. It should be a relativelt easy install. A 351 is a lot less common than a larger diesel engine or a chev motor. Have a look on outerlimits4x4 there are a couple of bokes on there who have done this conversion.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

WHITEGQ (19th August 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    Thanks for the replies, my GQ is my daliy driver, work truck, tow vehicle and play toy, but will soon not be daliy driver as I am getting my MK shorty on the road to use. Not interested in putting CHEV, HOLDEN or any other engine in, I have my 351 sitting in a TE Cortina drag car at the moment but due to having to many toys, and not really anywhere to race Cortina I am thinking about putting 351 to good use in my GQ. 351 is a well proven strong motor that a mate and I built some years ago. Has been consistantly running 8.4 sec on strip, so I think will be some serious fun in GQ.

351 is running straight LPG through my own design intake set-up, twin VN V6 throttlebodies, has proven to be a very strong and reliable set-up.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds great. I have a mate with an LS1 in his and it performs really well and its a stock motor. Keeps us posted and throw some pics up will be watching. I think the only issue you may run into and its only a small one is how the setup will go on steep inclines/declines but im sure you will sort that easy enough.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI nissannewby,
    I will certainly keep everybody posted if I do go ahead with this project, as I am still only in the thinking stages. Steep inclines/declines shouldnt cause any problems as it will be running only straight LPG.
    With thanks Jeff.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theres many running ford V8s, i mean who wants to follow the herd and go a GM product ???
    Here little sheep,here little sheep ....... LOL

Best bet is consult an accredited engineer in your state, they will know exactly whats required for full road rego
    As every state has different rules, bit hard to know whats required in every state, maybe jump on the relevant websites
    You will however have the 351 comply with any relevant emission gear the GQ has, but as you mention your goin LPG that usually helps with emissions
    Dellows,Marks, Castlemaine rod shop, should help with the bellhousing and a conversion kit

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MQ MAD For This Useful Post:

WHITEGQ (21st August 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any updates on this? I'm thinking of pulling the 351W out of my rangie and putting it in the shorty....
    90 GQ DX Shorty
    89 Maverick LWB

http://tinyurl.com/gf0012-aust-Gallery