Thread: Bush Hot Water

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4wdin View Post
    Macca, did you get the blue or red helton??? Some where I read, red is hotter but better with diesels.

I am more than happy to run the motor for an hour or so on fast idle as I need to charge camper batteries. Dual purpose.
    Got the red one as I have a storage tank, heat the water on the way to camp. Set up and have a lovely hot shower!!
    Cheers
    Macca

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We are located in the Port Stephens region of NSW, sand, water and fun in the sun!
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what I did find with the Glind was that by adding a tap in the outlet line we could regulate the temp a lot better.
    With the pressure pump it only pumps when it senses a pressure drop in the line, eg: when you turn the shower off it stops pumping.
    Was a tad frustrating showering with scalding hot then luke warm so the tap now restricts the flow enough to have a constant temp.
    Easy to adjust and works a treat. I suspect this may have been caused by the "over-kill" size of the pump? Not sure,,,,,,,
    Cheers

The BigFella
    500,000ks and still counting!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,697 Times in 2,480 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x3 nisshead, i have the bucket with a 12v bilge pump to drop into the hot water, hose to shower head and i have it hooked to the battery with a marine starter button sealed into a end cap from a 50mm pvc pipe and cable to battery, easy as step on the starter and water flows, the 20ltr bucket is heaps to have a decent shower and for about $40 all up cheap as.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

The BigFella (19th August 2012), threedogs (26th October 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a couple of black plastic buckets that have lids that we leave out in the sun to warm up, then a 12v shower pump. This only works well on nice hot days when you dont really need a hot shower, but taking the chill off the water is lovely.

We also have a coleman hot water system, but have found them really unreliable, we are on our third now and that one has gone bad too. Hubby is on the process of converting the battery thing (sorry I'm not technical) to being a 12v feed that will come straight off the power pack in the trailer via anderson plug or cigarette lighter. We are hoping that this makes it work better......

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Heres mine leave on or by the fire all weekend, hot water for a cuppa or washing up

Made the mistake of listening to a mate and cut 3" out of it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 12,387 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Was waiting for a gizmo from you. Very lo-tech, me likey. KISS

DIAL-A-TAP

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks Winnie, just thinking I've seen a few cast iron fire extingishers I reckon would come in handy, any work yet?
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 2,996 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have plumbed a 25 litre calorifier into our Patrol. We have one in our bus & have been very happy with it. Basically a heat exchanger inside an insulated tank, connected to to a pressure pump. Drive (or run motor) for 20 minutes or so & have hot water which stays hot for 2 to 3 days. It is fitted with a tempering valve which adjusts output temp to whatever we set it at by automatically adding cold water.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

The BigFella (26th October 2012)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12