Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sway bar

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    , I heard of off-roading when I was there, but I recall they were called "green lanes" and went through people's properties etc - is that right??
    Ha Ha, yep many do go throw properties, front gardens, golf courses etc. Most are cool if you’re vigilant and SLOW. Me and the boy go out at weekends and bumble around them. The one’s people try to block of illegally that pose the most fun as you’re allowed to try to pass or remove obstructions. One farmer tried to block of a “green lane” and created a lovely, half mile of rock crawling, the likes of which increased traffic 3 fold, he’s since seen sense and resurfaced track so is boring and unused.
    However sometimes you meet motor bikes on single tracks doing 60mph head on round blind corners! Missed them all so far, one used a ditch to stop, but was all ok.
    More private land club are opening all the time for 4x4s. We have 5 in 50 miles of me, so always somewhere to try and break the truck.
    I’ve won every drag race of the lights for 7 days, I love snow, ice and my troll

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the sway bar discussion. I've had a GU wagon with front sway bar removed, a GQ wagon with no sway bars, and my current GU wagon with both fitted, so I do have some personal experience with the subject.

Sway bars are fitted to reduce body roll or sway (hence their name), but they do tend to inhibit articulation off road. Having driven the vehicles above I can honestly say that my GU with both sway bars fitted handles much better than the other 2 wagons did. A lot of people will say you get used to driving without sway bars and this is true. But consider this, your driving down a street with your family in the car when a drunk speeding unlicensed driver suddenly pulls out from a side street without looking. You're forced to take instant and violent evasive action to avoid a major accident, causing the vehicle to lean heavily to one side before flicking back to the other side. You don't have time to think or plan in these emergency situations, it does not matter how used to driving without sway bars you are, in these situations they can make a major difference to the vehicles handling. I'm not suggesting that having sway bars will stop you having accidents, just weigh up the cost of a set of sway bar disconnects against what might happen in an emergency.

The following photos are of my first GU.

The suspension is Snake racing mega lift springs and (Tough dog) shocks. Measured from wheel rim to mud guard that's half a meter (500mm) of travel, with the sway bar connected.

Tony

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

AB (11th November 2010), Mrowka (16th November 2010)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the factory disconnect on the rear, and have just put snake racing front disconnects with a 2" extension to suit my lift. The disconnects are very noisy, clicking all the time around town. That said, went playing on the weekend and disconnected them for the first time - very very happy with the flex...

Just can't put the sway pins back in. Haven't bothered jacking up the car to do it yet - it roles a bit around town with them disconnected but certainly drivable.

B

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    superior engineering do disconnects for when you are offroad

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have Superior front disconnects and they are good, but your front swaybar then hangs down when disconnected, its loose but it hangs. They can be a bitch to refit too, they have been easy but with a bit of mud in them and a slight lean on the car your near kidding yourself to put them back in without mechanical aid (a jack and a friend)
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can some one advise me on the sway bar disconnect? why would i want to disconnect the front what does it do?

Landrovers were never fitted with this trick..

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil21 View Post
    Can some one advise me on the sway bar disconnect? why would i want to disconnect the front what does it do?

Cheers
    Gday Phil disconnecting the sway bars give the axles mor travel/articulation.

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Phil21 (13th August 2011)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil21 View Post

Cheers
    Swaybars are used to reduce body roll/sway for on road driving, off road they can reduce axle articulation which is why many people either remove them or fit disconnects.
    The factory Nissan sway bar disconnect works on the rear sway bar not the front.

Tony

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (9th August 2011), joemeds (11th August 2011), Phil21 (13th August 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    Swaybars are used to reduce body roll/sway for on road driving, off road they can reduce axle articulation which is why many people either remove them or fit disconnects.
    The factory Nissan sway bar disconnect works on the rear sway bar not the front.

Tony
    Thatsss, what i was trying to say hahahahahahhaha, much more articulate Ynot

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12