OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winch Mounted on Nissan Alloy Bullbar.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winch Mounted on Nissan Alloy Bullbar.

I need a winch for a trip next year so have been deliberating about winch bars and the multitude of winches on the market. been through all the debates on the forum and google etc.
    I have a standard nissan alloy bullbar fitted which is no good for mounting a winch.

Naturally looking for the best deals and value for money, I had almost decided on the bullbar and winch when I spotted a steel cradle on ebay.
    I decided it was the way to go and bought it for around $300

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251113423785...84.m1497.l2649

Fitting it was quite straightforward, I disconnected all the lights and arials etc, took the alloy bar off and the cradle fitted perfectly into existing threaded holes in the chassis members.

I was initially going to risk it and buy a cheapy winch for about $350, but because I had saved a heap of money I decided on a mid price range and bought a tigerz11 Grande with dyneema rope.
    This mounted straight on to the cradle, no problem. it also took the aluminium fairlead.

The next job was modifying the alloy bullbar for the winch access. I used an angle grinder to remove the three centre holes and left 1 on each side. A bit of panel beating, filing and sanding was needed to tidy it up. Fitting the control box was a bit tricky but it was just a matter of making a bracket and securing to the chassis (with the bull bar removed) Also had to make a neat hole in the top of the bullbar for access to plug in the winch control and /or the remote.

Then it was just a matter of bolting the winch bar back in place. 2 of the bolts were quite tricky to get to because the winch was now in the way. but got to them eventually with a variety of socket extensions and spanners. Also had to buy 2 more high tensile bolts.
    The alloy bar is quite light and was easy to take on and off

Really dead chuffed with the finished item and the winch looks great, its a very well made piece of gear. I can't see why it shouldn't work well, The proof of the pudding.......!!

Took 2 days over a weekend, but definitely worth the effort.
    Really must find out how to put photos on here!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to myzathreeby For This Useful Post:

cgm (3rd September 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds great and is exactly what I want to do. Photos would be great
    GU III ST-L 3.0L

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait to see how it went, hope you took step by step photos.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got one of those winch cradles to suit a alloy bar , I just finished mounting my 12,000 pound winch in it, here's some pics :
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 GU Patrol TD4.2T with heaps of stuff
    2007 Bayside Campers Offroad CT with more stuff

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGOMONSTER View Post
    Can't wait to see how it went, hope you took step by step photos.
    I didn't take any step by step photo's , but this website from the bloke who makes then is pretty good and it was a easy fit
    http://www.nissangupatrol.com/chassis-differences.html
    2000 GU Patrol TD4.2T with heaps of stuff
    2007 Bayside Campers Offroad CT with more stuff

8. The Following User Says Thank You to waz65 For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (17th October 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys
    I'm the bloke that runs the website http://www.nissangupatrol.com/index.html that sells the winch cradles. I'm glad to see that your fit ups have gone well. I can tell you that I now include the two high tensile bolts require as part of the kit and I have also made the fitting instructions public.

I do sell the cradles on ebay however it is cheaper from the website as I don't have to pay ebay fees. You still get the security and buyer protection via paypal payment. Currently I'm out of stock of the cradles but the next shipment is due next week. Oh, and it's an Australian supplier so I can keep a tight control over quality.

I'm always looking to improve my products so I really like reading threads like this and acting on comments. I'm looking to add to the instructions the procedure to cut out a slot in the top pan of the bullbar so you can see the cable spool onto the drum. I would welcome your thoughts on this.

Anyway, thanks guys for your support and be sure to check the website over the next month as I intend to add a DIY section if I get some spare time.

Dave

10. The Following User Says Thank You to toolman For This Useful Post:

my third 256 (30th September 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Must be a few different styles this was Ebay find
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, that's me as well. If you can zoom in you will see that the winch is an M8000lb warn unit as I didn't have a new XD9000 to put in it at the time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear that these things go alright. I too was just about to bite the bullet and change the bullbar out to a winch compatible version, and this little find on ebay is going to save me at least 1200 over replacing the whole lot, plus i like my bullbar, and i'd rather keep it... just need to decide on a winch now. Think i might go the 12000lb Grande Tigerz11. Seems like the best value tbh.
    Keep one eye on your enemies, keep two eyes on your mates

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honky View Post
    just need to decide on a winch now. Think i might go the 12000lb Grande Tigerz11. Seems like the best value tbh.
    Good luck with your purchase, hope it turns out well. (Sarcasm, just in case)

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast