Thread: Manual to Automatic conversion - Cruise control won't work

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manual to Automatic conversion - Cruise control won't work

I posted this some time ago, but just had a conversation with the local nissan mechanic.

Just had my GU Y61 2010 CRD manual converted to auto by wholesale automatics and couldn't be happier. All same comments as above, only problem I have is I cannot get my cruise control to work - something to do with the change over. Nissan have put their diagnostics over it and say that "apart from not working, there is nothing wrong". Auto electricians look at the wiring and computer in horror before telling me to go back to nissan. Am currently dealing with Stuart at W'sale ortos and will keep advised, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Makes towing a breeze and can lock in any gear or use the auto as a manual.

It appears that the onboard computer has a different part number for the auto and manual, but without sitting down and spending an hour with both schematics, they don't know what the difference is. Different price as well.
    My problem is I can buy a new automatic computer and have it installed for $1500 +GST+Labour, but there is no guarantee that will fix the problem and there is no prospect of a refund/return.

Does anyone have an idea on the what the difference is between the computers? Or any other suggestions about what I can do?

Best Regards, Peter Manley

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Peter, when you get a chance stop past the introduction thread ( link found in my signature ) and introduce yourself to our friendly family.

I posted the same question up ages ago, but gave up trying to work it out.

If Wholesale Automatic Transmissions has done the conversion its up to them to sort this issue out, unless they told you before the conversion that there could be an issue with certain things.

I assume you are from the VIC area if Wholesale done your conversion, do you have any mates with an Auto GU that you could pull there ECU out and test it on yours.

I assume Wholesale put in an original or after market TCU into you Patrol?

Cheers

Todd
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What was done with the cruise control switch on the clutch petal?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    What was done with the cruise control switch on the clutch petal?
    Exactly the question I was going to ask, Rodney.

I'd be tipping it is an interlock issue... either the "missing clutch" interlock switch or the wire is open or a necessary interlock closure from the auto isn't present
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for your response Todd. I had not thought of doing that - do you know if there is very much involved. I don't know anyone, but I was thinking of buying one second hand from wreckers. Wholesale Automatics did do the work and I will be returning to Victoria in a month or two to see if I can get any joy.
    Best Regards,
    Peter Manley

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks guys, I'm overwhelmed by the responses. The clutch pedal wires were shorted out and initially thought all was ok, since it wouldn't work at all before that was done.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjbim10 View Post
    Many thanks guys, I'm overwhelmed by the responses. The clutch pedal wires were shorted out and initially thought all was ok, since it wouldn't work at all before that was done.
    So is your problem sorted now peter??? The shorted clutch pedal wires was the problem???

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately no. All of the above happened before I came across this forum - O, how things would have been different if I had found you guys 2 years ago. The current status is in the body of my original post.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't of thought the cruise control computers would of been different from a manual to an auto. The part numbers you where told are they for just the computers? or the complete cruise control kit.

Looking at the wiring diagram there is only 3 different circuits between the manual and auto. The clutch switch is the first one. The other two circuits are direct links between the cruise control computer and the auto computer.

I would say this is most likely where your problem is and possible the cruise control computer if the part numbers are different.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rodney,

Sorry I'm 2 lazy to look at the manual and having never owned a patrol with cruise control, is the cruise control computer a stand alone unit or part of the ECU?????

Just curious,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast