Thread: Windscreens

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windscreens

A word of warning about replacement windscreens. I ahd a screen replaced by Windscreens O'Brien in Rockhampton (Hope they're not a sponsor) recently for $489.00. We were on the road and I didn't even ring anyone else. Unfortunately the screen was cracked on Cape York. I have just had it replaced in Melbourne. National Windscreens came and did it at my home for $225.oo. I rang Novus who quoted $245.00. So I rang WSO'B to see if they were going to be cheaper in VIC and they wouldn't give me a quote without first giving my name, address and phone number which I refused to do. So be caeful of the big advertisers. They have some big costs to recoup. While I'm giving out whacks. The starter motor on my Gu became very slow in the mornings after some deep water crossings. I went to Western Auto Elecricians in Broken Hill (hope they're not a sponsor) who diagnosed it as a stuck brush. All fixed for $180.00. Got home a week later throught the outback. Veh used twice since and starter is dead. Local Auto Elec Camerons in Lilydale stripped it. sandblasted it, machined the armature, new bearings and brushes for $148.00 and it goes like a beauty. It was covered in silastic and full of rust and didn't look like it had been completely apart for years. Whats the motto? Travellers in neeed of a quick fix beware.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paps01 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (16th August 2012), Old Wal (16th August 2012), Trolatron (17th August 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got two car windscreens replaced this year (hilux and a patrol both done same time on a weekend appointment) and got quote from obrien and it was $1100 for both racq glass did it for $450 for both! and it only took him an hr to do

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same with O'Briens at home here, had some sales man who was my new best friend ring me about 5 times.
    Final call was when a local bloke was fixing it for half their quoted price!!
    I got the poops with him, as I only gave my phone number on the condition I would not be harrassed by the sales department. He got the full bucket...

Macca
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    i got two car windscreens replaced this year (hilux and a patrol both done same time on a weekend appointment) and got quote from obrien and it was $1100 for both racq glass did it for $450 for both! and it only took him an hr to do
    Same Situation for me with Obriens and RACQ. RACQ whooped them.
    Scotty B | Take it Off Road or Take it Back
    3.0L GUIV 2005 - TIG Welded Intercooler, NADS, Redarc Dual Battery, Additional rear power socket, 2" Lift (Ironman constant load foam cell), Electronic Trailer Brake Controller, Steel Bullbar, 12,000lb Winch, UHF

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good to know guys i am in the market for the GQ now
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a bit of a horror story with Windscreens O'Brien

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...lling-on-vinyl

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    windscreen obrien's in rocky is on the bruce h'way.
    a lot of screens broken on this road, and they are there collecting.
    had the work ute windscreen replaced there 2 weeks ago, and the amount of people walking in the front door, off the street, on way back south, was amazing.

ozz
    TB42E manual 1996 GQ 30 year anniversary
    33" maxxi bighorns, 3" EFS & Accessories

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know what happened to the prices on my original post (big brother)but WSO'B where $489.00 and National was $225 and the eventual rebuild on the starter was $148.00.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    had mine replaced yesterday by instant windscreens $200.00 at their place
    rang insurance cgu in morning and to organized 10 minuites later instant windscreens rings to make an appointment / how about today at noon /yep thats ok
    picked up at 3.00 pm fantastic
    stephen
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just goes to prove you have to shop around
    There was some thing on the idiot box the other week about larger retailers overcharging due to their overheads and their big advertising budgets they have to recoup,and the smaller less prominent retailers can and do way better deals

The days of way overcharging should be a thing of the past , but seems theres a few who need it now and will pay at any cost ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast