Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Clutch problem

Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone can help me with this problem.

My clutch pedal started to stick, return slowly.
    I took the car to the mechanics where they changed the master cylinder this did not fix the problem. Then they changed the slave that also did not fix it. Then they changed the booster this did not fix the problem.

Then the mechanics thought the problem is the actual clutch and not the hydraulics so they changed the clutch.
    Guess what nothing changed. The mechanics are puzzled.

I looked all over the internet to find if anyone had a similar problem but I was unsuccessful.

Does any one know what could be the problem?

regards,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the pedal moving freely when disconnected from the booster/master cylinder?
    Could it be a collapsed hose causing a restriction to the fluid movement?

Tony

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tony,
    The pedal is moving freely.
    But I have not checked if the hose has collapsed. I will change the hose and see if this would fix the problem as this is the same advise I just received form Nissan service centre.
    I will let you know if this works.

Thank you,
    kostik

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kostik,

I had this problem twice in the last six months. The clutch was making a squeaking noise as it hit the bottom of the pedal travel. Then it started sticking down and I had to reach down and pull it back up (exciting when you are in the middle of an intersection). My mechanic (who I no longer use for reasons that will become apparent) replaced both the master and slave cylinders and mentioned that the master had metal filings in it. About a month ago I had just picked up a new caravan and was taking it on it's innaugural journey and had the same problem - again. I rang the mechanic and his advice was to take the car to his supplier for them to have a look at it. Only problem, I was about 50km away, it was raining and I was towing a van. I left my wife with the van and took off. About halfway there the clutch pedal decided to stay on the floor at every gear change. I had the bright idea to tie a piece of rope to the pedal to save reaching down and pulling it up. That worked for about another 20km when the cylinder packed it in entirely. I was in the middle lane of one of the busiest roads in the town, it was raining, I had no clutch at all and I was within a couple of km of the repairer. After pushing the Patrol off the street (with the help of a couple of good samaritans) I was eventually towed to an RACQ preferred repairer who replaced the master cylinder. He mentioned to me that the fluid had a lot of metal filings in it. I put two and two together and realised my mechanic had not replaced the oil when he changed both cylinders, just replaced the cylinders and topped ip the fluid.

When we returned home the first thing I did was pull both cylinders off and clean them and replaced all the fluid including what was in the line. I took the damaged cylinder to my mechanic and he was going to get back to me. That was six weeks ago and I have not heard a thing since. To say I am pissed off is an understatement. Before our trip away I had the car serviced and asked him to check the gearbox, transfer case and diff oil levels. I decided to check the levels this week and found the gearbox was overfull, the rear diff was about half full and filthy, the transfer case was down a little and the front was OK.

I digressed a little there. Sorry.
    Spoons

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoons

Yes I know how it feels when your mechanic is not doing what he/she suppose to do. And you should let people know who they are that others don't get in the same trap.

What I real want to know if your clutch problem was fixed once you have changed the master and the slave?

regards,
    Kostik

regards,
    Kostik

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kostik,

Since I had the master cylinder replaced and replaced the fluid I have had no problems with it. The cylinder was replaced about eight weeks ago and I replaced the fluid last week. It may be too soon to claim a victory but so far so good.

I have decided to do most of the work on the Patrol myself and have a logbook service done on the major services by another, well recommended, mechanic. Hopefully he will do a better job.
    Spoons

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good morning All,

Thank you for your help. My mechanic finally fixed the problem. It was a collapsed hose which cost $30. But thanks to my mechanic it cost me $600, after changing every part of the clutch system.

Expensive lesson for me and him as it cost him over $1000 in labour which he could not charge me for.

cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kostik; 29th October 2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: adding photos

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kostik For This Useful Post:

Col.T (1st October 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,751 Times in 8,576 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for getting back to us too mate!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    had the same problem with my 98 S.Safari. the clutch pedal gets stuck on the floor. replaced the slave cylinder last week for $ 26. now its working fine. but i feel now my clutch is getting hard to press..

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Well after changing the hose, the clutch pedal became ease to press. It is now a pleasure to drive as before I was working out my left leg for four years

regards,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast