Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

family travels

hi all,

we are travelling from top to bottom of oz over six months in a petrol y60 on lpg pulling a camel camper. looking forward to it, and interested in any resources others have used when travelling.

cheers,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry mate , not much help planning big trips like that, i can say tho, you should "definatly" take a camera, and post lots of pics for us here about your travels

Good luck, and im sure someone with decent info will be along soon (he-he)
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Don't forget to take a sense of adventure, and a sense of humour
    laugh at least once a day, even if you feel like crying
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 20,714 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How old are the kids?

Keep them entertained mate, games and DVD player in the car is a must when on the black top otherwise they will be a nightmare when your trying to get up there.

Download the magazine I made up which has a section on some items to consider when touring too...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ATROL-MAGAZINE

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tip#1

When you stop for lunch on the road the kids DO NOT EAT! that is their time to run around. On the Madigan line Zach (6) was made to run to the top of the sand dunes. play chasy, play whatever you like.

Make their lunch and zip lock it. they will eat in the car when your rolling again. Make it clear to them that that is how it works and they will never complain about it! it's just the way it is!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tip #2

When packing up camp each day pack their PJs into their sleeping bag bag when they unpack there they are
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tip #3

Buy a 20lt round plastic drum with a large opening lid ($15 at Bunnings) When on the road put 10lts of water in it with all your smalls and lay it on its side and strap it to your roof rack. You now have a Washing machine Use Front Loader powder for less suds

Works a treat. Wring it out and fresh water rinse and your ready to hang them out when you stop for the day.

This will work with all your washing actually like jeans and stuff but most effective on smalls and tshirts

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Blownlc (22nd January 2013), Chubba (16th January 2014), rkinsey (15th August 2012), Steve4wdin (15th August 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add some smooth rocks to the "washing machine" origional stone wash I guess. Gets jeans clean anyway.

If your kids are old enough get a bird book (plus reptile, native animal, flora, trees etc) and have them spot and record what they see and where.

Couple of mates did this and the DVD got fairly well left alone. They actually looked out the window!! Make sure they can see out too.

They have an amazing capacity to remember, be a great trip for sure.

Cheers Macca
    Cheers
    Macca

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will definitely load photo's and update the travel section.
    thanks MudRunnerTD for the ideas - esp the clothes washer.
    AB, i've installed a second battery and converter for the laptop, so that should see them right.

as an aside, i bought some 240V reading lights (the ones with the clamps), stripped out the wiring etc and replaced with 3*1W LED (MR16s), inline fuse and switch, and cigarette male so be able to plug and clamp them anywhere in the camper. it was from an idea on another forum and they put out great light with low draw, as i just couldn't find anything similar out of the box. anyone come across anything? cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    These work a treat 10watt 12v smd led flood light
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast