OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: GQ noise and mild vibe when braking at low speed - causes?

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ noise and mild vibe when braking at low speed - causes?

Howdy,

noticed after longish highway drive home today that at low speed, almost at a stop can hear and feel a regular beat/grumble and occasional squeak. Luckily just as pulled into driveway tonight. Did a blockie to confirm - maybe it is more obvious when going up hill.

Silver is a TB42 manual. Got 4 wheel discs, did double check to ensure handbrake not on.

Does it in gear with foot off the clutch - but will triple check.

I'm hoping for loose wheelnuts.

I'm thinking maybe wheel bearing, uni. I'll check the nuts, jack up and wobble and spin the wheels and slide under and peer at the unis.

Any other suggestions of likely causes?

Back from a little break away with the family - to visit some more family on their farm where the o/n temp got to -10 C brrr.

Thanks in anticipation :-)
    Last edited by Silver; 15th August 2012 at 07:29 AM.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate,

Does the noise is present when you turn the wheels? the right side and left side? or only in a straight line or only one side? do these vibrations back into the steering column? if you check your wheel bearings, wheel make your move from left to right, if you want to test your bearings from your hub wheel moves up and down.

Does your wheel hubs are greased?

regards
    Petit caillou.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Petit caillou, will check and report back. bearings and hubs greased about 18 months ago, no water or hard off roading since.

Nice work on the English - could I clarify what you mean when you talk about about the wheel moving left to right and the 'hub wheel moves up and down.'? Is this saying that if the wheel bearings are a problem, there will be left to right movement in the wheel, or is this about steering linkage issues or? Thanks again.

Rick
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also check your discs and pads. Most pads have indicators on them which will squeek when the pads are low. Also the slight shudder could be from worn rotors.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick,

I meant :
    To test the wheel bearing it is best to make wheel movements from left to right. Put the bridge on a support and move the wheel by hand from left to right.
    To test the bearing pivots up and down, perform a movement of the wheel from top to bottom.
    Another idea, check if your damper is secure, and if the rubbers are compressed. Does the noise is a long period or a short squeak?

Regards
    Petit caillou.
    Last edited by Petit caillou; 15th August 2012 at 03:34 PM.