Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: my water to air intercooler install

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You wont do 200 on a standard pump. You will prob get bewteen 160 and if everythin is working well maybe 180. The turbo will need to have some sort of high flow to give enough air volume. With a fresh pump you will quite easily do 200 on 22-24psi.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    You wont do 200 on a standard pump. You will prob get bewteen 160 and if everythin is working well maybe 180. The turbo will need to have some sort of high flow to give enough air volume. With a fresh pump you will quite easily do 200 on 22-24psi.
    the pump wont be standard by a long shot. I just took it for a test drive and holy crap!!! I drove it on the bruce hwy and in the 80-90km zones I was seeing a reduction of 80-100 degrees and on this one hill I saw a reduction of 180-200 degrees that is outstanding. its much more responcive, it boosts longer. it needs more fuel, i have been setting the turbo timer to 1.30 to get the temps down to 100degrees (from about 200) before shutting down, now its cooled to 100 in under 30 seconds. I could not be happier well worth the 5k it costs
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sweet. You will have take us for a strap sometime. Have you played with your pump at all? I do know some people where I could get the pump done for you at a good price if/when your keen. Do you know when your next break is when your home?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Sweet. You will have take us for a strap sometime. Have you played with your pump at all? I do know some people where I could get the pump done for you at a good price if/when your keen. Do you know when your next break is when your home?
    yeah I'll be in brissy tomorrow for the day I got back to work tuesday until wednesday the week after
    Last edited by Ben-e-boy; 11th August 2012 at 04:16 PM.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ill be back the monday of the week you get back

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    the pump wont be standard by a long shot. I just took it for a test drive and holy crap!!! I drove it on the bruce hwy and in the 80-90km zones I was seeing a reduction of 80-100 degrees and on this one hill I saw a reduction of 180-200 degrees that is outstanding. its much more responcive, it boosts longer. it needs more fuel, i have been setting the turbo timer to 1.30 to get the temps down to 100degrees (from about 200) before shutting down, now its cooled to 100 in under 30 seconds. I could not be happier well worth the 5k it costs
    $5k wow.
    Nice neat setup though.
    I would be more interested to see pre and post intercooler tempatures.
    Do you have any of these?

Marty

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambill View Post
    $5k wow.
    Nice neat setup though.
    I would be more interested to see pre and post intercooler tempatures.
    Do you have any of these?

Marty
    I dont have any intake temperatures. but on the way home home from brissy I gave the ute a hiding to the point where my clutch is slipping a bit now and I could only get the pyro to 360 degrees
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slipping clutch, no load, cooler temps maybe.
    I guessing post turbo pyro?
    My setup with the air to air front mount will only reach 1100degF (595degC) pre turbo under sustained full noise runs and on the dyno (ambient air temps around 25degC).
    This is with 28psi boost making 194rwkw @ 2920rpm.
    Having said that though the intake charge can get to 50-60degC (in the manifold) under those conditions from around 150-160degC pre cooler.
    Only real difference being that the AFR's richen a little and you see a little more smoke.
    Would be very interesting to see the intake temps of yours if you ever get the chance to do them.

Marty

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambill View Post
    Slipping clutch, no load, cooler temps maybe.
    I guessing post turbo pyro?
    My setup with the air to air front mount will only reach 1100degF (595degC) pre turbo under sustained full noise runs and on the dyno (ambient air temps around 25degC).
    This is with 28psi boost making 194rwkw @ 2920rpm.
    Having said that though the intake charge can get to 50-60degC (in the manifold) under those conditions from around 150-160degC pre cooler.
    Only real difference being that the AFR's richen a little and you see a little more smoke.
    Would be very interesting to see the intake temps of yours if you ever get the chance to do them.

Marty
    I just had a chat with the guy who built it, from their R&D I should only be looking at 20 degrees C above ambient, whether it is a 20 degree day or a 45 degree day, but that test was done with a ball bearing turbo and I have a journal bush and I would be looking at slightly higher temps because of that

my clutch is slipping because I did a few to many 5th gear pulls up decent hills from around 2k rpm WOT and full boost I was being quite harsh on the old girl. I would prefer to see it slip now than after the new pump and big boost.

I would love to see the temp especially once the boost is wound up I'm going to order another temp gauge. These kit are still efficient at 50 psi. On top of that Australias most powerful cars are cooled by A.R.E
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whats the theory behind journals running hotter than ball bearings??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast