Thread: Arduino powered MFD- Battery and temp display

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper View Post
    This is the sensor I had in mind for the low coolant level (blown hose, punctured radiator, etc), www.ebay.com.au Coolant Level Sensor.
    I don't see how a LM35, or the factory temp sensor can do the same job as this can?

Opinions seem a bit mixed on weather there's an electrolysis risk. Some say a really low current eliminates the danger, others say you shouldn't use DC at all.
    I was thinking temp alarm not no water alarm. The sensor would work but this can easy be done with a relay led and peizo buzzer. If you want to use with the arduino a ultrasonic sensor would work and no electrolysis worry.
    2004 GU ST 3.0 DDi 2" Tuff Dog Lift, Warn 9000lb, Custom dual Batteries Redarc, Safari Chip + Snorkel, 3" exhaust, NADS, MBC, DIY can, PWR Int,+9" fan, 7" GPS-DVD-TV Igo8 and Ozi with 2cams,6.5" Kicker splits and 6x9", Pillar+ Racetech EGT-PSI, Heated seats, fixed compressor, Arduino dual battery and engine/OAT temp display, 3" Projected 50W HID's with halo DRL's........so far.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for not getting back sooner. Got the flu and it really floored me.

Quote Originally Posted by adventurepaul View Post
    If you want to use with the arduino a ultrasonic sensor would work and no electrolysis worry.
    I really like the ultrasonic idea, but couldn't find an affordable sensor which could handle the temperatures.

That brings me back to the electrodes version. I found an integrated circuit that is perfect for running an ac current to the probes, so now I'm wondering if an Arduino can do the same as this IC?

If the Arduino can't do that, I'll set up the low coolant alarm as a stand alone system, and use the Arduino for my trans temp gauge, engine temp gauge, and I'm also thinking of using it to replace the LPG and petrol gauges which are hopeless.

So here's my shopping list

Arduino
    Screen (4 lines for more detail)
    Plate to mount the screen in
    Temp sensor to glue onto the engine
    Probe for low coolant alarm
    Mounting to put the probe into the radiator hose

A box for the Arduino and some wires to connect everything will be easy to work out, but I still need to find a suitable temp sender for the auto trans fluid, and to find out if I need to buy a separate IC, or if the Arduino can do the whole job.
    Then I have the fun of learning to program it.
    Last edited by ripper; 18th October 2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Fix links
    1989 GQ LWB Wagon, TB42 Petrol/LPG Auto. Bought Dec 2010

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job. i was also thinking of doing something similar.. i even started but then got bored with writing code

An idea for you, you can get arduinos to talk to android devices, plus there are now android based double din car stereos... you see where im gong?

Fast and the furious type computer display with whaterever type of input and graphical display your heart could dream of. Plus then you could run ozie explorer off the double din stereo too as its android.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,
    Nice work indeed are you prepared to share the source code, and what sensors you uesd and which 16x 2 display.

I have been developing a digital speedo using two arduino's one to represent speedo drive output and then one as digital speedo.
    with program selectable over speed thresholds.

Longer term would also use it to supply pules to cruise control unit.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An idea for you, you can get arduinos to talk to android devices, plus there are now android based double din car stereos... you see where im gong?

Fast and the furious type computer display with whaterever type of input and graphical display your heart could dream of. Plus then you could run ozie explorer off the double din stereo too as its android."
    Yes you can get android/ bluetooth shields for Arduino's. Buddy of mine is doing a remote start on his nav with one. I run Ozi on my WindowsCE chinease 7"DVD GPS so u dont need an android version. However i find that program runs real slow unless u have bulk RAM, like +2 gigs.

"Nice work indeed are you prepared to share the source code, and what sensors you uesd and which 16x 2 display"
    I guess i can, i found most on forums anyway. Im still in Canada till next year. Was planning on it when i get the DTE Version and altitude going. Its all on my home pc so will have to wait.
    The temp sensors i used are LM 35, the Arduino site has code for these and battery is easy, just drop the volts to <5v max input and convert the output to read to 12.

Sorry for the late replys havent visited here for a while now, having too much fun:-):-):-):-)
    2004 GU ST 3.0 DDi 2" Tuff Dog Lift, Warn 9000lb, Custom dual Batteries Redarc, Safari Chip + Snorkel, 3" exhaust, NADS, MBC, DIY can, PWR Int,+9" fan, 7" GPS-DVD-TV Igo8 and Ozi with 2cams,6.5" Kicker splits and 6x9", Pillar+ Racetech EGT-PSI, Heated seats, fixed compressor, Arduino dual battery and engine/OAT temp display, 3" Projected 50W HID's with halo DRL's........so far.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im doing the sane - using the arduino from jaycar (freetronics model 11) and the Jaycar lcd screen.

The software is very simalr to C++, and easy to drive

I used this code http://www.clarenceho.net:8123/blog/...test-voltmeter to make a simple volt meter. As most sensor are based on a volt meter type rady it should be easy to change the setting as required.

Note change the lcd setting to this if you use the jaycar lcd

LiquidCrystal lcd(8, 9, 4, 5, 6,7);
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    adventurepaul,

Is this project still on the go?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arduino has numerous applications, various inputs, various display methods using one PCB. Good thread mate!

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My latest running arduino project is a gps based speedo using a 2 line LCD with custom graphics for the speedo numbers (2 * 3) blocks - making it easier to read.

Additonaly I use the GPS based time to dim the back light between 7 Pm - 7 Am

The parts list is a GPS receiver, arduino nano board and a 2 * 14 seerial display.
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done. I've been thinking of doing something similar using one of the displays from 4d systems which would almost fit a normal instrument cluster.

http://www.4dsystems.com.au/product/uLCD_220RD/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast