Thread: Arduino powered MFD- Battery and temp display

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arduino powered MFD- Battery and temp display

I was looking at dual battery monitors and after not finding much looked further. Also finding out my Patrol hasn’t got real OBDII so are unable to use the cheap link programs went looking at building my own MFD (Multi-function display). I wanted to see some temps, dual battery volts and maybe the MAF output. I came across these Arduino Microprocessor’s and with some searching found other people had done something similar. Idea #1.....
    So after a spending about $20 on eBay got a board and some temp sensors and LCD and started to write the code to run it. It’s not that hard it’s all open source and lots of info out there. Here is a basic start to single temp only.
    Here are some pics of the installed unit. The controller sits in a small box 2” square x4’ long under the glove box area and has a 5v power supply in it and some relays to dim the screen LCD at night. It runs the screen on the steering wheel and is connected to the sensors. These figures are not accurate as still adjusting code to get the calibration right. Was correct for my computer 5volt output but in car is different.
    The startup says ‘NISSAN’ for 5 sec then rolls thru each page ‘Batt volts’, ‘inside and intake temps’ ‘Tranny and engine temps’ then back to batt volts again with a 4 sec delay between screens.
    I’ve already started on m second one as this board has limited inputs (6 analogue). I’ve got a new one coming with 16 as I want to display a bar graph type display or MAF output, Altitude and a DTE (distance to empty)setup using both fuel tank capacities. Will keep you updated with the setup when the new one goes in.
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 GU ST 3.0 DDi 2" Tuff Dog Lift, Warn 9000lb, Custom dual Batteries Redarc, Safari Chip + Snorkel, 3" exhaust, NADS, MBC, DIY can, PWR Int,+9" fan, 7" GPS-DVD-TV Igo8 and Ozi with 2cams,6.5" Kicker splits and 6x9", Pillar+ Racetech EGT-PSI, Heated seats, fixed compressor, Arduino dual battery and engine/OAT temp display, 3" Projected 50W HID's with halo DRL's........so far.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adventurepaul For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (27th September 2012), ripper (18th October 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clever!

Saw stuff promoting arduino and a couple of books about it, and some bits and pieces at Jaycar. Looked too hard for me, and I didn't see the applications you have, so I left it all in the shop :-)
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! Have had a little bit to do with the arduino myself. Made a steering wheel control system for iPod in my old commodore. Was contemplating doing something similar to what you've got there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Teno's Troll...
    08 CRD ST. 2" lift, 33' Maxis Bighorns, Snorkel, ARB Deluxe Bar with Foggies, 12000lbs Avenger Mako TDS with Synthetic rope.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Jaycar have started selling freetronics brand stuff. Bit pricey like everything they sell, but if you cant wait for eBay, I guess its Ok.
    2004 GU ST 3.0 DDi 2" Tuff Dog Lift, Warn 9000lb, Custom dual Batteries Redarc, Safari Chip + Snorkel, 3" exhaust, NADS, MBC, DIY can, PWR Int,+9" fan, 7" GPS-DVD-TV Igo8 and Ozi with 2cams,6.5" Kicker splits and 6x9", Pillar+ Racetech EGT-PSI, Heated seats, fixed compressor, Arduino dual battery and engine/OAT temp display, 3" Projected 50W HID's with halo DRL's........so far.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I'd love to do this, but I'm not sure if I'm up to it.

What's the display screen that you used?

Is a Raspberry Pi similar, better, worse, or totally different?

Can an average dummy (I've learnt a little html) learn how to code this?
    1989 GQ LWB Wagon, TB42 Petrol/LPG Auto. Bought Dec 2010

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pi is similar just not that common. Arduino stuff is everywhere and all open source code so easy to mod. I used the 16x2 (16 caracters with 2 lines) Ebay or Jaycar for all parts. Still under construction version 2 with Altitude more temps and fuel distance to empty. Just got to finish all my other projects first.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mega-1280...#ht_979wt_1397
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-5v-16...ht_1973wt_1163
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-pcs-LM3...#ht_956wt_1163

9. The Following User Says Thank You to adventurepaul For This Useful Post:

ripper (27th September 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. Thanks heaps for that.
    Can you please share pics and details of your new set up when it's done?
    I want to start with a temp gauge for our auto trans, plus a low coolant alarm, and a engine temp alarm.
    For the low coolant alarm I think I need to use an AC circuit rather than a DC one, to avoid the risk of electrolysis. Hopefully an Arduino can do that for me.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be easy to do. I wouldnt bother with the AC. The input to the Arduino to trigger the alarm will be a 1-5v dv signal. Either converted from the engine coolant temp sensor or a LM35 type sensor. Code will be ..when 100deg reached sensor puts out say 5v and triggers a piezo buzzer. thought about this myself for the 550 deg EGT point.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the sensor I had in mind for the low coolant level (blown hose, punctured radiator, etc), www.ebay.com.au Coolant Level Sensor.
    I don't see how a LM35, or the factory temp sensor can do the same job as this can?

Opinions seem a bit mixed on weather there's an electrolysis risk. Some say a really low current eliminates the danger, others say you shouldn't use DC at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey bud once you have this sorted with all the extras your talking about you really should consider putting a few together and sell them as i reckon if you can make them a relatively simple plug and play job your on a winner for sure and a few hunderd bux each you would fetch easy. No idea what it has cost you but you'd make it back i reckon and then some. Nissan sold a heap of that engine.

Looks great
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast