Thread: Don't have to drive miles to get fish

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't have to drive miles to get fish

I saw another thread that someone posted about their secret spot to go camping so I thought I would let the community know of a great fishing spot in the suburbs of Melbourne.

I used to always drive miles up north to find some spots for a quick day fishing mission but some of the greatest fishing spots are right at your back door.

The Yarra River in Melbourne is going great in the last few years with Cod bighting like nothing ive seen.

The Carp don't seem to be getting around much these days and I think the Cod are finally claiming back their territory.

Just zip down to Warrandyte area, main street, up near the Warrandyte High School or even down at Pound Bend Reserve and you'll be suprised how much their biting.

So yeah, you don't need to travel miles to catch fish, the Yarra is pumping, water's up high and fish are there!!!

My mates will kill me if we see a stampeed of fisherman down there next week but its all good...haha

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,771 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip mate, might have a crack on the weekend and see how I go!

That is true though, Last year my friend caught a monster Cod and we found a 1 foot Carp in It's belly.

Cod are pretty vicious.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live right on the Wimmera river which you may or may not know had been dry for over 6 yrs right up until about 6mths ago. due to really good rainfall (the biggest in 12 yrs) thay were able let a big flow down the river system form Horshom & it went from dry to full in a matter of days & all I can say is what a sight that was. It was amazing to watch the hole river transform from nothing to a river & if you hadn't seen it before hand you would never have known (I've got some great before & after shots which I will post) & the fishing came back almost instantly & thay are predicting that if we receive another good amount of rainfall this season Lake Hindmarsh will start to fill again which is the biggest fresh water inland lake in Australia & was commercially fished before the drought hit the Wimmera & the Lake dried up (& boasted to have had the biggest & best tasting Redfin in Australia) so hears hopping.
    Last edited by patch697; 23rd June 2010 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,771 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great news mate, I did hear about that but haven't seen any photos so post some pics up for us to see.

It would have been great for the locals to see it flow again!

Before and after's would be good to see, look forward to it.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The WaterWatch guys were saying how because of our water usage, farming and land changes it has only filled up 4 times in the Lake Albacutya and beyond into Wyperfeld National Park area in the last century.

Goes to show how much we're screwing up our land.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IP-GQ View Post
    The WaterWatch guys were saying how because of our water usage, farming and land changes it has only filled up 4 times in the Lake Albacutya and beyond into Wyperfeld National Park area in the last century.

Goes to show how much we're screwing up our land.
    year thats about right to I've spoken to alot of the oldies who have lived here all there lives (some in there 90's) & thay have said the same thing & this time around has been the longest dry spell thay had ever seen & as it turns out its the longest in recorded history but that could all be about to change & I can tell you first hand my fingers are crossed very tightly on this one.

Some of you should come up or down (depending on where you are) & do what I have done.. Taken some pics of me & my brother out 4WDriving on the lake. It will be fun to show all you blokes & bloketts one day when we hold a forum meet up out this way & you can see first hand.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've posted the pics up in Members Rigs for those who want to take a look Under: Water coming back to the Wimmera.