User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Gps navigation radio combo

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not long ago installed a pioneer AVIC-F40BT. I decided that buying cheap would be costly in the long run. It comes with off road maps too. It was easy to install. Just a bit time consuming to do it properly. I made my own loom to interface with the Nissan loom. The after maket ones are way too long. I made mine only as long as they had to be.

A little snippet.... When you have done all your wiring and are ready to install the unit wrap some thin foam around the plugs. I got a sheet of the stuff from clark rubber for a few pennies. Use some insulation tape to hold the foam on. This will go a long way to prevent any rattles....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That unit looks geart Cold, but I cannot find a single thing about those models having any off-road features / maps such as Ozi Explorer and the likes.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the AVIC 940BT, it says it comes with off-road maps but I haven't tested that yet. However, the GPS system it uses for on-road nav is absolute rubbish, so much so that I use a TomTom for navigation.

The rest of the unit is good, i.e. sound, phone, iPod etc. but steer well clear of these units for any GPS functions.
    2012 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD. Alloy bull bar, HID spotties, Pioneer GPS/CD/DVD head unit, Beaudesert 2.75" exhaust, Autometer Boost and Pyro gauges.

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do, kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got an Alpine INA-W910R on rd GPS is brilliant and so its it off Rd maps, has had every single track i've been on. Bluetooth is fantastic, cant fault it!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually went looking for the Alpine but couldn't source one locally so grabbed the Pioneer thinking it'd be on par with Alpine. I know better now.
    2012 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD. Alloy bull bar, HID spotties, Pioneer GPS/CD/DVD head unit, Beaudesert 2.75" exhaust, Autometer Boost and Pyro gauges.

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do, kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulvdw View Post
    Hello all

Just looking for advice on the best stereo system for the GU patrol. Looking for something that does maps and reverse camera etc

Any info experiences

Cheers
    best one on the market is one made by kenwood cost you though
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had absolutly no issues with the GPS on the AVIC-40BT..... I mounted the GPS antenae up in the passenger side pillar. It gets the GPS signal every time with in 10 seconds. So far every track I have been on around here has been on the GPS... Not sure why others think that the GPS is crap. I would rate it the oposite... I have a Garman zumo 660 for my motorcycle. I would rate the GPS as good as this unit.

Funny how some things work for some and not for others.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldcomfort View Post
    I have had absolutly no issues with the GPS on the AVIC-40BT..... I mounted the GPS antenae up in the passenger side pillar. It gets the GPS signal every time with in 10 seconds. So far every track I have been on around here has been on the GPS... Not sure why others think that the GPS is crap. I would rate it the oposite... I have a Garman zumo 660 for my motorcycle. I would rate the GPS as good as this unit.

Funny how some things work for some and not for others.....
    The GPS works fine, like yours it boots up fast and has no issues finding a signal and all the roads are there, it's the actual route finding capability that is crap.

A couple of examples:

Bathurst to Maitland, a 4 to 4.5 hour drive that I've done quite a few times, according to the Pioneer it is a 7 to 8 hour trip on routes I've never seen before.

Bathurst to Noosa, according to TomTom and Google it's a 13 hour trip via the inland route on the New England Highway. The shortest route Pioneer can give me is 23 hours via the coast. The inland route was not one of the 6 route options it gave and when I tried to force it onto that route by adding waypoints the travel time blew out to 28 hours!

Where TomTom, and other GPS units, find an alternate route when you stray from the selected route the Pioneer doesn't. It continually gives directions to get back onto the original route. The Noosa route is an example, rather than find an alternate route when I added waypoints it kept to the same route and just added the waypoints as side trips.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alitis007 View Post
    I've got an Alpine INA-W910R on rd GPS is brilliant and so its it off Rd maps, has had every single track i've been on. Bluetooth is fantastic, cant fault it!!
    Mate of mine has this in his hilux and it is just awesome in terms of screen clarity sound and features. Onroad gps is just as good. Off-road... Well, we didn't have much luck even with the most common / dirt tracks in high country etc. And we didn't even venture into the proper 4x4 stuff up there. But that was only for a day or so, maybe it needed an update or something. If this thing ran oziexplorer I'd be willing to pay a lot of $$ for it...
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Mate of mine has this in his hilux and it is just awesome in terms of screen clarity sound and features. Onroad gps is just as good. Off-road... Well, we didn't have much luck even with the most common / dirt tracks in high country etc. And we didn't even venture into the proper 4x4 stuff up there. But that was only for a day or so, maybe it needed an update or something. If this thing ran oziexplorer I'd be willing to pay a lot of $$ for it...
    Every forum trip i have been on my Alpine has had ever track, even the ones that the guys using iPads with off rd maps on them didn't have! My unit is less then a year old, so maybe your mates one is an older model or had the old maps in it??

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567