Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rear bar alternative

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So not a good idea?
    2008 Nissan Patrol GU 6 DX 3.0l and proud of it!

WARNING: Using a Snatch Strap on a Tow Ball can KILL PEOPLE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think anything that adds weight has to be carefully considered. Weight that serves no other purpose but to counterbalance a working part of the load, sounds like something best avoided, to me.

Weight costs fuel, tyres, general wear and tear and if there is enough of it, it breaks things.

I don't know enough to say whether fitting a set of airbags to the rear coils, and then pumping one up harder than the other would adversely affect handling.

On a related point, I didn't think of it at the time, but I think all of the commercial swing away spare wheel carriers support the swinging end of the frame when in the closed position. Yet they still have big stub axles and wheel bearings for the carrier to sit on/swing on, so they must be expected to work pretty hard? Put another way, the ones I have seen have axles and bearings big enough to carry 1/4 of a loaded car, and all they are doing is carrying a wheel and tyre and a few metres of pipe?

Shonky, I'll duck out of this conversation now, and leave it for someone with more knowledge and experience.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've given me a lot to think about silver. This idea I have with the tube bar work was inspired by a hilux surf I saw at work last week. It had a somewhat similar setup but I think I'll have to have a good inspection on it to see if it will serve the purpose I need it to do.

I know that commercial rear bars are very heavy, and I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that the tube bar setup I'm talking about would be of similar weight if not lighter.

Like I said, I think I may have to talk to a welder/fabricator who has worked on projects like this on a daily basis to give me some more advice on the subject. Thank you very much for your help so far.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Shonky,

thanks for your kind words.

Maybe you'll nut out some kind of internal reinforcing for the door that picks up the hinge bolts and the bottom catch, or something, that is easy to fit, and you'll be able to retire on the proceeds :-)
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy another rear door. If gu4500 runs big rubber a 33 should be no problem in your case.
    A new door is no where near as fun as putting money into something you can see, but will be effective in carrying your rubber. OR
    Save up for a rear bar, and buy a good one.
    I want one for my troll, twin jerry one side, tyre the other but as you say, they are a little pricey.

I have also been told that not all cheaper options will last, compared to expensive ones. I suppose it depends on how bad you thrash it.
    06 GU IV Nissan Patrol wagon 3.0L, Tough Dog 2" lift, Xrox bar, 12k Mako winch, 33" muddies, 3" exhaust, Awning, UHF, drawers & fridge, custom sliders, DVDs, custom water tank and pump, rack etc etc.
    Now just in - GQ Shorty 4.2 petrol, UHF - but looking at turbo or V8 conversion

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did think about the new door. That'll most likely happen later on and your right about getting a more expensive bar. I've heard plenty of horror stories about people buying cheaper bars and getting nothing but rattles and having them not support any weight or knocks from 4wding. The more I think about my bar work idea, the more I keep poking holes in it that can't be changed or fixed. I think it's high time I just save up, face the facts that these bars cost a small fortune and get myself one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123