Thread: Rear bar alternative

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear bar alternative

Hey guys,

Theo (my patrol), had a crack in the right hand barn door due to the weight of the spare tyre. I've got a mate to weld it up for me but it's only a temporary fix. I've been looking at getting a rear bar for it to handle the weight but every one I see will cost anywhere from $1800 to $2500!

Honestly, I'd rather spend that sort of coin on some lockers or a new lift kit.

My question, is there an alternative to this sort of issue apart from putting the tyre in the back or on the roof rack?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated... Cheers guys

Shonky
    2008 Nissan Patrol GU 6 DX 3.0l and proud of it!

WARNING: Using a Snatch Strap on a Tow Ball can KILL PEOPLE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a mount and strap down for the tyre in the back mate - the roof is far too great a haul to be putting a 25kg tyre up and down onto.

If your nifty with the welder, you could have a lash at making a rear bar with a tyre holder but that's not for the feint hearted.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi I've made a bracket that bolts to where the rear seats used to go in cargo area, so my spare is internal.It's upright behind the right rear passenger seat, which is removed to house the Engel. replaced the wheel on door with a faux wheel just to hold recovery gear. Check back I'll put some pics on here
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 3rd August 2012 at 04:25 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There was a mob out Benalla way called Karry2 or Karrie something that did single rear swingaway wheel carriers leaving stock bumbers in place.
    Looked good and very affordable, think his name was Micheal?
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a pretty good idea Threedogs, unfortunately Theo is also my daily driver and I have a 8 month old daughter and our pram is HUGE which makes life a bit harder for me... I was hoping for an outside mod more than anything

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so I had a bit of a brainstorm. I have been wanting to put side rails on Theo for a while now, but I knew I wanted to build it myself instead of buying them. What I'd like to do is have it turned into a bumper car of sorts, rails going around the perimeter. I've already got a TJM bullbar and rock sliders so my idea is to make the front side rails and a set of back ones connecting to the towbar. From there, I'll make some piping that will wrap around the back lights and on the left door have a swinging Jerry can holder which can be removable so their not on there all the time and on the other side another swinging brace for the spare wheel.

My crude drawings give you a general idea on what I'm taking about. The blue is the railing and the red is the swinging braces and holder.

I'll be making some more official and accurate drawing later on once I get some more opinions and do some research on what material I'll need for the job.

Any insights on this project would be greatly appreciated as well as suggestions to improve on my plans.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm?

I run a 35" Simex on steel rim, on a spacer on my back door.... and its a 98.... bought it at 76K ish with the factory steel wheels and 265's. Straight away in 2001 changed to 285's on GU steelies.... and fitted a spacer.

Then bought the 35's a couple of years later..... now has 160K on it.... no cracks. And they are a 50kg rim and tyre setup.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The R/H barn door had a sizable crack on the left side of the window support. The vehicle used to be an ex mining truck so it's seen plenty of knocks, resulting in the crack. Like I said before, I've had a mate weld it up but it's only a matter of time before it'll crack again so I either buy a new door or create something different that fits all my needs into one package.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All that extra steel work will add a fair bit of weight to the trol........ if your mate is handy with the old welding, you should ask him if would be able to knock up a new rear bar with swing arm

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already tried commissioning him but he doesnt have the time to go through and make one for me. For what I had planned originally for Theo, the extra bar work is minimal in comparison to the weight of a rear bar. I was getting side rails and I wanted a rear bar to begin with but the price is just not that appealing to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast