Thread: NA to Turbo Basic questions

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NA to Turbo Basic questions

Just want a quick check with people who have gone from NA to turbo on TD42.
    I recently bought a used Safari turbo kit from ebay and imported it to Fiji. The turbo in it is not original Safari unit but a T3/T4 .AR60. everthing else is safari hardware. The previous owner was running it at 14psi with no issues / lags etc. just few questions i would like to clear:

1) after fitting this kit do i have to tweak anything in the fuel pump? (planning to run 14psi on high boost switch) there are no dyno's here in Fiji so cant really tell anything, just have to do it manually.

2) what would be the safe maximum boost to run with no intercooler? dont want to fry anything in the engine.

3) the turbo back reads 2 1/4 inch, should i go 2.5" or 3"inch straight exhaust system with no muffler?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    3 Inch straight through exhaust

Fit a Pyro gauge if you can mate and that will allow you to play with the fuel screw with some understanding of the effect on your engine as you do.

You should be able to add fuel and judge based on your black smoke output as to where your screw should be at.

Assuming that you are fitting a Boost Controller then not sure why your going a "High Boost" Switch? I cant imagine you will ever flick it!

Playing around with your fuel and boost gauge in partnership and monitoring the EGT and black smoke and you will find a happy place. The TD42 will love it.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Aben Dean (3rd August 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It wont so much be the boost that will fry the engine but overfuelling. You can run 20psi unintercooled if you like but will need to keep a good eye on your temps etc. Grab a boost gauge and a pyro gauge these 2 are essential if wanting to play with it yourself. Lots of boost doesnt always mean more power the better the air fuel mix the more power you will get. The turbo will push 20psi but if you dont have the fuel to go with it then it wont be any better than running 12-13 with the right amount of fuel. With your setup I would look at running about 12psi turn the fuel screw in half a turn and you will be very happy. A 3" straight through exhaust will allow for better response as well as lower egts under load due to better flow out of the turbo.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks...yes will be running a boost controller (already have a dual stage turbosmart unit from my MR2) and also have a boost gauge. will get a EGT guage after few weeks from Australia. So if i run 12psi i turn the fuel screw at half turn? At full load, i should expect no heavy black smoke from exhaust to know the tune is ok?
    Last edited by Aben Dean; 2nd August 2012 at 09:03 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a standard injector pump then that will be a limiting factor. You also need to consider the efficiency map of the turbo to determine the safe maximum boost pressure. If you push a turbo out of its efficiency range you may get more boost but the temperature of the compressed air will be too high to be beneficial, especially without an intercooler. You will need to contact the turbo manufacture to get a copy of the turbo map.

You should really start with basic tune, ie adjust valve clearences, new injectors, pump timing.

Then I would start with 14Psi boost and gradually wind up the fuel until you see between 500 and 550c-post turbo peak sustained EGT (up a long hill, towing a heavy trailer if you have one - you want to put the engine under maximum load). As you wind up the fuel you will need to wind down the idle, once you run out of idle adjustment the pump is maxed out. The next step is to get the pump modified with a larger plunger and a boost compensator, at this point you really need to be getting the vehicle professionally dyno tuned as well.
    I wouldn't go over 14Psi without an intercooler and 3" exhaust.
    Note, tuning diesels by EGT's is a guide only, mixtures should ideally be set using a mixture meter.
    Boost v RPM, you want the boost to come on as early as possible.

Tony

This one good guide by Tony (Ynot)..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ade For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will use 3' exhaust system...will do 12psi and open the fuel screw half turn and see how it goes. Also the Diesel services guy here said he can modify my pump (following what he said i think) :he will fit the TD27 turbo top cover to my pump and fit a link or something and work as a boost compensator? so the extra fuel only goes in when required and he will not open the fuel screw because he said it will chew alot of fuel and the method he told will only give extra fuel when required. ......what he is saying, is it possible?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imho it is possible..

Here's a good read http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-file...ines_Rev_2.pdf..

Bosch VE pump is very similar to our v type pump, mine is Diesel Kiki or aka Zexel pump.

Ade

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fitted the Kit in. Runs well no issues, not yet adjusted boost or pump fuel screw. Can feel only slight difference. Did 2.5 / 3" exhaust system, no mufflers (some said i needed muffler for Back pressure?). I think i should get more power after i increase boost and adjust fuel screw at pump. Hoping for the best...dont wana be disappointed lol !

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muffler for back pressure is on a non turbo car.
    On a turbo car the turbo is the back pressure also acts like a muffler .
    a lot of people choose to run a straight through pipe no mufflers myself i have two mufflers as i don't like the noise when highway cruising.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sound i got from only Dump pipe installed (no pipes after Dump pipe) was incredible! The whistle noise and sound of turbo turned heads! but it went a bit quiet after i installed the full exhaust piping upto the rear. Today hopefully will install a boost guage and see how much the T3/T4 in boosting before i increase boost and adjust fuel screw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast