Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is withl hid led lights

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i use a white grease on the sockets helps stop them rusting up but i am lazy my reverse lights are still half full from the last effort and so are my parkers lol.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    yeah know the feeling, what is it glass half full or glass half empty. LOL
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    sounds strange you can't see on rainy nights
    It makes sense. Depending on the colour temperature of the lights (from yellow halogen to whiter xenon, to super white hid or led or even the illegal purple) the whiter lights are worse for inclement weather. The white ones reflect light from reflectors better. The yellower ones are better for inclement weather. Think less light reflected back from rain/fog/dust with the yellow error ones.

Tipsy-tap

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Understand all that, but Amelia didn't mention she had HID, Maybe we'll find out soon.
    sounds like wrong colour choice for sure.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I should have expressed myself clearer. Amelia I think said she had just gone to LED (low beam?) , which is also is usually whiter than normal headlights. Am guessing that the light reflected back made any visibility non effective.

Happy to be wrong though.

Amelia?

Tipsy-tap

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HID headlights are excellent to drive with (when setup from factory)

I have them in my latest work car and the HID low beam is very bright and really fills out the area up to the cutoff with lots of light.

This is proven by on a clear dark night, you practically cannot tell if the fog lights are on or off..... I have only used them once in heavy fog a week ago and even then they really didn't do anything, the headlights were both sufficient and better on trialling fogs on, park lights vs fogs on low beam v fogs off low beam....

And it was a thick, couldn't see 30m type of fog.

The high beam is halogen, pretty good to drive with, but I'm looking to add some pencil beam spotlights as well to the vehicle for all the night drives I do.

Vehicle is a Subaru Liberty.

And I make these comments in light of a heap of other vehicles, including my GU running H4 headlights & Lightforce XGT spotlights (not HID). 1 headlight globe is a 60/55 and the other is something like a 110/90 (due to needing a replacement in outer woop woop).

I would definately choose HID lights if it was a reasonable option when buying in future.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the difference for hid and led, hid draws more power than led but uses all the power, they have to heat up to get to there ultimate brightness, these lights are great for distance. Looking at 1 km range on most so therefore make them a great long distance, open highway,beach and outback light. Note that hids are not designed nor can handle being turned on and off constantly(around town highways) when your dipping high beams for oncoming traffic.

This is where your led light bars come into play. You will not get the great distance as the hid spot light, but you will get a nice clear shine, a brilliant spread of light and a beam for at most 3-400 metres, these lights as said draw much less power and the high side turn out to be a great light around town and anywhere else pending your requirements. Led lights can be flicked on off as much as you like compared to hid. So dimming for oncoming traffic won't bugger them out.

As for camping and interiors, you can get some very small and discreet led lights, be it replacement bulbs or a length of led strip light cut to your liking. Easy to install and the output is amazing and the power draw is alot less than a halogen globe.

Lunny

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123