Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long or Short wheel base GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long or Short wheel base GQ

Gidday guys, i've tried to search through the forum to find the info, but its huge!!!
    I have an 89 gq patrol LWB and i love her dearly. i searched for a swb for a long time but found nought hence the wagon. i am now in the position where i have been offered a straight swap. a SWB 89 Maverick for my 89 Gq patrol. both are TB42 duel fuel in about the same condition bodywise but the shorty is a little rougher inside. he wants to swap as he has just had another kid and finds it a pain in the butt to get them in the back seat with only 2 doors.
    well anyway, i digress, what would some of the main advantages of each of these vehicles be? how hard is it to find shorty's now and are they getting rarer and therefore more desirable. Both vehicles are reasonably stock at this stage. Any input would be greatly appreciated as i have to sell the idea to the minister for home and finance.
    Sometimes it's the destination, but usually its the journey!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday mate,

As for me, I'll choose lwb for the whole family to jump in, all the stuff we carry on a trip..loads of them and goes anywhere the swb go. Seems that I like swb for play but read somewhere they are a bit complicated if you want to lift them up to a certain height..droop issue??? Swb owner should shed some light..

Ade

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ade For This Useful Post:

Barney Rubble (22nd July 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Id stick with the wagon. The SWB are good but if plannin a lift it can get a little complicated with drive shafts being shorter etc, dont have as much room in them. They also have their positives like less panels, lighter and when done nicely are a tough looking rig.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Barney Rubble (22nd July 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a 4wd aspect, the SWB tends to be better in sand due to its lower weight. The LWB will be better on steep climbs/rocky terrain as the length gives it stability.

SWB will also use less fuel due to the wieght.

Personal preference is LWB, but I like the high country for 4bying (steep/rocky), never been on sand yet in the 3 yrs I've been 4bying. Like the look of the SWB though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Outrage For This Useful Post:

Barney Rubble (23rd July 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i own a SWB, and prior to that owned a long wheel base. i can tell you right now that the SWB is no where near as comfortable to travel in. you feel bumps and humps alot more, there isnt as much room to throw your gear in the back and go out, and im sorry to say outrage, but i disagree that the fuel economy is different, infact my swb uses more fuel partially due to bad tuning but with both being well tuned i would think the difference in economy would be negligible. modding the LWB... much easier, when lifting the SWB more than 50mm/2 inches, you run into all sort of complications from the drive shaft being at too steep of an angle. then you need to play around with chaning the angle of your gear box etc in other words not so good. i can say that my long wheel base was great to climd rocks and go on sand, but the swb is def better at rock climbing being the shorter distance between tyres. they both have their plusses but i would suggest sticking with the LWB.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick with the long wheel base I have done alot of miles in both and the LWB is much more comfortable as far as the ride goes both on and off road, LWB is more stable on really steep stuff and you can sleep in it.
    Another reason I like LWB is that alot of the time you only have half the vehicle in the obsiticle were with a SWB it tens to be everything is in

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tank For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ditto stick with the LWB plenty of room to set up as a 2 person tourer, SWB only a weekender IMO. Later if need be you can dual cab etc the skies the limit with LWB. More comfortable too
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

14. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks to all you guys, i was so close to giving him the go ahead on the swap... but i reckon i will stick with the lwb.
    Sometimes it's the destination, but usually its the journey!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In the end mate it's all up to you and what you want. My cousin has a shorty though and I can say that my wagon is a LOT more comfortable

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ihave a SWB maverick and a GU st The Mav is a weapon off road a 2 in lift silverstone 117 muddies lokka in front 12ooolb winch duel fuel but it is a toy it is unstable when you climb steep stuff it is small inside BUT ITS A SHORTIE AND BOY IS IT FUN
    Thats why I bought a GU as well
    Cheers Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast