User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front brake line leak....hmmm help

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always been a firm believer in anything with brakes, replace it, I would tighten the nuts up then clean it up 100%, have someone pump the brakes a few times with the engine running to get the boast & check the leak, this will tell you where the leak is, if it is in the brake line replace both front lines, keep the good one as an emergency spare, just some thought, when undoing breaklines jamb a golf TEE in the hole, you may need to whittle it to a tapered point, the wood will squash a little to hold out the air long enough for you to change the line, this stops lots of air in the line & much much easier to bleed the small pocket of air out off the brakes afterwards, often good enough to bleed that line only & get away with it, done it many many times.

The reason I do both sides is I believe if one side has failed the other could fail, do both sides & keep the good spare, you have double peace of mind, one it is all done nicely & second you have something that will get you home in an imergency, always keep a golf tee in your kit, takes no room

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Morton For This Useful Post:

eliurquhart (21st July 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Morton, sound advice bro, so the tee goes in the flexible brake line or the metal line? I just found this quote on-line and it describes what was happening to me.

"one of the reasons for replacing brake lines on your vehicle is due to collapse. Brake lines collapse for several reasons. Typically, metal lines collapse from impact and rubber lines collapse due to age. When a line collapses, it can cause several symptoms. The most common symptom is a pulling condition upon braking. It is relatively difficult to diagnose a collapsed rubber line because you cannot physically see the inside of the line. The rule of thumb is usually if the vehicle pulls to one side while braking and the caliper shows no damage, then replacement of the brake hose is required"

Thats exactly what the Q was doing, pulling to the right

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the small cost of brake lines and fluid just replace them all. Peace of mind for safety of yourself, passengers and other road users

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brought today and on the way, safe as

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eliurquhart View Post
    Cheers Morton, sound advice bro, so the tee goes in the flexible brake line or the metal line?
    into the metal line off the chassis to stop the fluid leaking out, when it goes back together the only air you should have is in the flexi-line & calliper, quick bleed & the small amount of air is out, on the road again, you wont even finish a beer in the time it takes

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if you can tighten the bolt at all, it may have had a knock and be a bit loose.
    But It would be a good idea to replace the hose and the two copper washers.
    If you cant get the washers, just heat them till red and let them cool, they will then be soft again and can be re-used.
    Cheers, the ferret.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

Ade (22nd July 2012), eliurquhart (22nd July 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work, will let you know how it goes, Cheers Morton thats what I thought seemed sensible

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well lines arrived today, $65 for the two not sure if that exy or not. Everything works well again, just need to service the piston but wasnt sure how to get it out, anyone help me on that one??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eliurquhart View Post
    Well lines arrived today, $65 for the two not sure if that exy or not. Everything works well again, just need to service the piston but wasnt sure how to get it out, anyone help me on that one??
    If the piston is not leaking, leave it alone, the price of the hoses is fine, you depend on them to keep you and your family alive, cheap as.
    Just make sure everything is spotless and fit the washers and the tube bolts with care.
    One washer each side of the hose fitting.
    You will need to spend some time bleeding the system too, if in doubt, ask here on the forum.
    Best of luck..
    Cheers, the ferret.
    Last edited by the ferret; 26th July 2012 at 12:36 AM.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To remove a piston i just put compressed air into where the brake line goes and push it out be careful if you do this as it can come out quick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast