OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: 3.0L TD intake manifold removal time?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3.0L TD intake manifold removal time?

Hello all. Just wanting to give a 2001 3.0L turbo diesel a good clean out and overhaul so it will last forever and then some. And need to remove the "grenade"

Question is how difficult is it to remove intake manifold from TD to clean it. I am very able to do it just trying to get a rough idea on a timeframe.. been hunting through the forums but unable to find anything, apart from it being a prick of a job but it should be done. So a nudge in the right direction would be fantastic. Thanks guys.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did this a few weeks ago. I too was searching and found nothing. Removal was about 1.5 hr. The worst was none of my bolts had been ever removed so all the bolts were tight as. Had to drop the coolant as needed to remove the inlet adaptor on the head to get at 1 bolt. Didnt remove the EGR valve from the water hoses just moved it out the way ( had to bend the bracket a bit though). You also do need to pull the entire intercooler and fuel lines off. Cleaning at home with about 4 cans of supercheap degreaser-1hr then reinstall 2hrs. Not too bad a job really, no way I would pay to get it done as its easy to do. I had about 3/8" thick of crap in the intake so was worth doing. Rolled up some scothbrite cloth and pulled it thru the pipe passages with thin wire. Came up like new.
    Capped off the intake/EGR with stainless plate when reassembling. BTW I also re-used all the gaskets. they are metal cruch type and some Locktite 515 gasket goo workes up to .015".
    PM if you get stuck.
    2004 GU ST 3.0 DDi 2" Tuff Dog Lift, Warn 9000lb, Custom dual Batteries Redarc, Safari Chip + Snorkel, 3" exhaust, NADS, MBC, DIY can, PWR Int,+9" fan, 7" GPS-DVD-TV Igo8 and Ozi with 2cams,6.5" Kicker splits and 6x9", Pillar+ Racetech EGT-PSI, Heated seats, fixed compressor, Arduino dual battery and engine/OAT temp display, 3" Projected 50W HID's with halo DRL's........so far.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to adventurepaul For This Useful Post:

muzzfrog (17th July 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate you are an absolute champ.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start on a Saturday morning (or when you have the day after, off) and you should have everything you need off and back on, by the early-mid arvo.
    Hunt around for gaskets because my turbo gasket kit, not including one, from Nissan was $85 trade. Aftermarket came with all needed in turbo swap and cost me $15.
    Get all parts you think you need and allow extra time for stuff-ups, because something bad always seems to happen when you have a time-line.

I spent Sunday from about 230-5pm pulling turbo out in intercooler out, cleaned everything thoroughly and put it back.
    Took my time and cracked a can or two. Saved me $$$$$
    06 GU IV Nissan Patrol wagon 3.0L, Tough Dog 2" lift, Xrox bar, 12k Mako winch, 33" muddies, 3" exhaust, Awning, UHF, drawers & fridge, custom sliders, DVDs, custom water tank and pump, rack etc etc.
    Now just in - GQ Shorty 4.2 petrol, UHF - but looking at turbo or V8 conversion

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi mate
    just in
    middle of doing the same thing havent removed inlet yet but just wondering where you put the EGRplanking plate

thanks sharky

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hunter64 I put mine between the pipe that comes from the egr and the inlet manifold.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to paulyg For This Useful Post:

hunter64 (20th August 2012)