Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim's - 2.8TD GU Patrol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim's - 2.8TD GU Patrol

This is my rig. I was going to sell it and buy a GU Ute, which one day I may still do, but I really don't have the funds at the moment and I probably should think about buying a house.

'99 GU Patrol
    35" Baja Claws on Black 15" Sunraysia rims
    3" Wombat suspension lift
    3" Exhaust from Turbo, no mufflers
    Obligatory Safari Snorkel
    Flexi Flares on Rear (going to change to originals)
    Homemade drawers (going to redesign them)
    Sony head unit with 6.5" polk momo splits and 800w kenwood amp, 12" kenwood sub.
    Sundowner CB radio
    LED interior lights
    Winch Bar with stock IPF spotties
    Blocked EGR and Intercooler butterfly
    Custom dents and scratches

Got my spare 35" on the roof at the moment because I've noticed a few cracks in the barn door hinge. Those doors aren't really made for taking that amount of weight. Hopefully I can get a custom rear bar with a swing arm on it for the spare. Just need the money!

More pics to come.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've been looking a 2.8td gu how do you find them?
    how do they go on 35's a fuel wise?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate,

The 2.8's are a good motor. They are prone to some head issues, so I've read, but this isn't until 200,000 odd thousand km's.. but I guess it depends how you drive it and how often you get it serviced etc.. like all cars.
    I find the 2.8 terrific in the bush. When my mates had 4wd's, they were ALL 4.2's. There was never a time where they could get somewhere and I couldn't. In Low Range, they are the same. If you're a capable driver, the 2.8 will get you where you want to be.
    They are a revvy engine and being a diesel, you tend not to push them hard.. but they can and will rev, giving you a bit more of a useable rev range to work with unlike the 4.2's which peak about about 3000-35000rpm and really don't do much after that.

They are slow on the road. There's no mistaking that. You have to ride/feather the clutch a bit to get them moving. Once they are up to speed, they sing along really well. The 4.2 is a bit faster on the road and is easier to take off in but realistically, this probably isn't worth the extra 5grand you could end up paying extra just for a 4.2.

With the 35's, don't expect world beating fuel economy. Apart from all the accessories we add to our trucks, the 35's really drag the economy down. I probably get somewhere between 17lt - 20lt per 100km's. I used to get around 650km's out of both tanks combined when I was travelling 80km's a day to work round trip. The 35's don't help the take off speed either. When I have my 31's on the car, driveability improves 1000%. It's just a quicker car all round and fuel improves a bit. I'm just really lazy and don't have a good jack to change my wheels over. I really just want to buy a new set of 33's and use them for tracks/road full time and not have 2 sets of tyres.

Hmm what else can I say.. It responds well to a 3" exhaust. Initially I didn't notice much difference, but after a week, I noticed it was revving a lot easier now and the turbo spooled up quicker. Plus it sounds good The gearbox is smooth as silk and leaves the 4.2 box left for dead in terms of feel.

One thing I don't like about the 2.8 is the fly-by-wire accelerator pedal. In the bush, going over the wash outs or really rocky sections, trying to keep a steady pressure on the accelerator is hard because with all the bouncing, your foot is constantly pressing the pedal slightly and it's so sensitive that the car starts to surge, making for an uncomfortable drive. Quite a few guys have shoved some foam under the pedal to numb some of the sensitivity out of it and apparently it works fine.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More Pics! No particular Order.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those economy figure's suck, man I thought you'd get better than that with such a tiny motor, I get the same economy from my GQ with a GEN 111 V8 and 33s and it aint tuned properly and has a really restricted intake, when those issues are fixed the economy will get much better, This thing pulls like a bus full of school boy's and revs to about 6200 rpm. Its lifted, has a 150ltr fuel tank, steel winch bar and winch and draws full of recovery gear and 40ltr fridge so she's fully loaded all the time
    Western Patrol Club member

GQ with 5.7 Gen 111 V8, Dual ARB airlockers, 33" Coopers, 9000lb Premier winch, Black Widow draws

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never said the figures were great. Of course you're going to get better figures with a V8. You can cruise around all day on 1500rpm while I'm constantly changing gears and sitting around 2500 - 3000rpm. Plus isn't the GQ lighter? The LS1 is probably lighter that the deisel too.. LS1 is alloy isn't it?
    As for being a tiny motor.. it's a 6cyl.. it's actually quite large when you look at it. I notice you have 33" tyres too, I'm running 35's which makes a difference.

When you get your V8 tuned up and a new intake etc.. you can create a thread about how good your economy is!
    See you on the other side of the river.. if your V8 doesn't stall.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get me wrong mate wasn't having a go.just meant ya must be disappointed with that consumption,I thought the 2.8 was much more economical than that,and as for the river crossing, being a GEN111, there is no dizzy to drown, a couple of squirts of CRC and it will run fully submerged as long as your snorkel is sealed and economy wise there is a couple of threads on other forums from guys that run the GEN111 that are getting a best figure of 13 ltr per 100, I wish mine was getting that but at the end of the day its all about gettin out and enjoying it
    Western Patrol Club member

GQ with 5.7 Gen 111 V8, Dual ARB airlockers, 33" Coopers, 9000lb Premier winch, Black Widow draws

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha no worries mate. I'm not overly disappointed with the fuel economy. I'd like more power to go with the figures, but the big 6cyl patrols get far, far worse than me. Something like 22lt-30lt per 100... I think the 30lt/100 figure was on sand.. but that's just crazy. They go well though.

If I had the money I'd think about getting an LS1 or perhaps the rb30. They are both cheap engines.. I just can't be bothered with all the engineer certificate hassles and having to get adapters and modifying stuff... well, for the LS1 anyway.. the RB30 would drop in no sweat. Hmm.. might have to pull my rb30 out of my VL haha.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey nice rig my mate has the 2.8 he changed his diff ratios (when he put his locker in) and his goes well, in your last pic is that a locked gate?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate I just seen on a thread in another forum some people givin you a hard time about this I only asked as a mate of mine got a fine for being on the wrong side of a locked gate I mean no intention was only wandering

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast